Books

Hi all,

Just curious what textbooks your training program used for your primary paramedic care theory classes, as well as what you thought? Not my intent to solicit one publisher over the other, but just to try and achieve a census of the material out there.

For my program, our main textbook as Mosbys' "Paramedic Textbook, Revised 2nd Edition". Overall, I really liked the layout and format used, but lately, I've been noticing that for a quick review, there isn't much offered in terms of pathophysiology and the like.

One of the other books we used for our anatomy and physiology courses was Bradys' "Anatomy and Physiology for Emergency Care". I absolutely LOVED this textbook, as I still refer to it often for review, and the way it is laid out really makes the information stick. Plus, being geared towards EMS providers, it has added in nuggets of information which help apply the material to a clinical aspect of patient care.

What books really helped you and which ones do you think you could have done without?

Zach

I took my PCP 3 years ago in Manitoba (Winnipeg) and we used the Brady Prehospital Emergency Care 6th Edition. The book was ok, it really was an American EMT-B text book ( I don't know of any Canadian EMS Text books) with some enrichments sections at the end of each chapter. I didn't like the Patient Assessment Chapter in that book but we were taught a different pt assessment so it didn't really matter. Like you we also used the Brady Anatomy and Physiology book and I liked that one a lot.

Here's a list of required text for the program I attended:

Brady's Essentials of Paramedic Care and Workbook (Great - best paramedic text I have seen)

Brady's Prehospital Emergency Pharmacology 6th Edition (Decent - covers pharmacology fairly well)

Brady's Advanced Airway Management (Great - Geared towards prehospital and inhospital providers)

Brady's Advanced Medical Life Support (Great - Get it if you don't have it)

Brady's Basic Trauma Life Support (Decent)

Bate's Guide to Physical Examinations and Hx Taking 8th Edition (Great - A little advanced for prehospital providers)

Seely's Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology 5th Edition and Workbook (Decent - probably better out there)

Hubble's Principles of Advanced Trauma Care (Decent - Covers trauma really in depth)

Emergency Medicine Manual 6th Edition (Good Reference - geared more towards physicians)

ECG's Made Easy 2nd Edition (Great)

ACLS Provider Manual

PALS Provider Manual

NRP Manual

I think all these books really helped in the program, but we probably could have done without the Emergency Medicine Manual and the Advanced Trauma Care, the others I thought were essential to the program. I bought several others on my own that I really liked... Mosby's Comprehensive Pediatric Emergency Care, Brady's Basic Arrhythmias, Pathophysiology Made Incredibily Easy, and Brady's Paramedic Review Manual 3rd Edition. Overall, I was fairly impressed with all the text we used, it did a good job at preparing us for the field, providing you used it efficiently.

Brady's Essentials of Paramedic Care and Workbook (Great - best paramedic text I have seen)

There is a Canadian edition. It is still basically Dr. Bledsoe's book that has been edited to reflect differences in protocol and drug names, by a bigwig at Calgary EMS. Some of the photos have been changed to Canadian pics too. I haven't seen it, but it comes highly recommended.

Hmm, yes, I've seen the Canadian version of that series. I found it interesting because it's a set or books, as opposed to just one huge one. A good idea in the long run, as you only need to take the one you need for those classes, but still, I like having all the information in one place.

I've also ordered the Advanced Medical Life Support book off of Amazon. Looks pretty decent actually, as well as another Pharmacology book by the famed Dr. Bledsoe.

Zach

Hmm, yes, I've seen the Canadian version of that series. I found it interesting because it's a set or books, as opposed to just one huge one.

It's actually available either way, as a set or as one big, but abbreviated book. I need to get the Canadian version.

At the JIBC here in BC we use the Canadian edition of EMR and the workbook for EMR.

For PCP:

Merck Manual

Essentials of Paramedic Care Canadian Edition (great books)

Porth Pathophysiology: Alterations of Human Body Function

For ACP:

Mosby's Paramedic Text

Porth Pathophysiology

ECG workout

On Call: Principles and Protocols

Anyone Can Intubate

ACLS + ACLSEP

PEPP

NRP

Clinical Assessment and Manifestations of Respiratory Disease (quite a good book meant for RT students)

Physiocontrol Essentials of 12 Lead for Prehospital Providers

Lilly: Pathophysiology of Heart Disease (wicked book used here in 2nd year med school, everything you need to know about cardiac abnormalities explained in a straightforward manner)

CCP:

Entire program currently under review

Hi all,

Just curious what textbooks your training program used for your primary paramedic care theory classes, as well as what you thought? Not my intent to solicit one publisher over the other, but just to try and achieve a census of the material out there.

For my program, our main textbook as Mosbys' "Paramedic Textbook, Revised 2nd Edition". Overall, I really liked the layout and format used, but lately, I've been noticing that for a quick review, there isn't much offered in terms of pathophysiology and the like.

One of the other books we used for our anatomy and physiology courses was Bradys' "Anatomy and Physiology for Emergency Care". I absolutely LOVED this textbook, as I still refer to it often for review, and the way it is laid out really makes the information stick. Plus, being geared towards EMS providers, it has added in nuggets of information which help apply the material to a clinical aspect of patient care.

What books really helped you and which ones do you think you could have done without?

Zach

I'm currently using the Mosby book. I absolutely DO NOT like it. Seems to lack organization. NExt semester, we are switching to the Brady book and from what I've been told, it is MUCH better!