Incharge Paramedic vs. Regular Paramedic

Nate

Haven't kept up with CLEMC lately, so I don't know. Most of Creek's trucks are running just 2-3 people due to staffing. Occasionally 4 on the truck with a student, their P class just finished and the students are finishing their clinicals.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2-3, guess they have been cracking down on the "clown car" effect. I remember when I was at Ponderosa we would see 3, 4, once even saw 5 people get out of a Cypress Creek truck. (Then again you know that Creek isn't the same Creek it was a few years ago, which is good and bad.) CLEMC leads the league down here with "most people on a truck," but HFD is catching up to them. Yesterday at Bay Shore ER there were six people from HFD in their ambulance for an SOB call.

Okay, I'll bite. What makes "HFD" (whatever that is) medics so special? I'm willing to bet they suck.

Nothing really makes them special. In no way are any of those HFD guys smarter than her. Just they intubate like 20 people a day. While she intubates like 20 in a week. So by "skill" I mean they have done it so many times that they really have it down.

Well, we still don't know what "HFD" is. :?

Regardless, the biggest HFD I can think of is Houston, and even their busiest medic would be lucky to do 2 intubations a week.

Me thinks you might be exaggerating a wee bit.

Well, we still don't know what "HFD" is. :?

Regardless, the biggest HFD I can think of is Houston, and even their busiest medic would be lucky to do 2 intubations a week.

Me thinks you might be exaggerating a wee bit.

You're right sorry it's Houston Fire Department. I don't agree too much with what you said. HFD is having a shortage of paramedics. Recently, they had a recruit class and one of the conditions to join was that you had to become a paramedic through their fast pace course (i know I hate the idea too). Some of our paramedics work around 3rd or 5th ward (pretty ghetto areas). So they always have someone getting shot or almost dying in the areas they work at.

edit: yeah its an exageration but they really do more als interventions at hfd than we do here.

You're right sorry it's Houston Fire Department. I don't agree too much with what you said.

Not only was the HFD figure a gross exaggeration, but the figure for your "head paramedic" is also a fantasy. If an HFD medic gets a full arrest per shift, and he intubates both of them instead of his partner doing one of them, then that comes out to 2 intubations a week, which is the number I stated. In over twenty years, much of it in the ghettos and barrios of Dallas, it was pretty damn rare to get two tubes a shift. Certainly not twenty. They don't see that many patients per day. Not even in a week. In fact, the vast majority of ghetto runs are BS runs.

Now you're saying that this "head medic" gets twenty a week and she's not even with HFD? Come on, dude. I hope your math isn't really that bad. Otherwise, you can forget ever taking the hyphen out from between para and medic.

Not only was the HFD figure a gross exaggeration, but the figure for your "head paramedic" is also a fantasy. If an HFD medic gets a full arrest per shift, and he intubates both of them instead of his partner doing one of them, then that comes out to 2 intubations a week, which is the number I stated. In over twenty years, much of it in the ghettos and barrios of Dallas, it was pretty damn rare to get two tubes a shift. Certainly not twenty. They don't see that many patients per day. Not even in a week. In fact, the vast majority of ghetto runs are BS runs.

Now you're saying that this "head medic" gets twenty a week and she's not even with HFD? Come on, dude. I hope your math isn't really that bad. Otherwise, you can forget ever taking the hyphen out from between para and medic.

It was just an expression! comn even I know you don't get 20 intubations a day. What I meant to say is that the HFD guys just get to do more als interventions than our cheif medic does.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right sorry it's Houston Fire Department. I don't agree too much with what you said. HFD is having a shortage of paramedics. Recently, they had a recruit class and one of the conditions to join was that you had to become a paramedic through their fast pace course (i know I hate the idea too). Some of our paramedics work around 3rd or 5th ward (pretty ghetto areas). So they always have someone getting shot or almost dying in the areas they work at.

edit: yeah its an exageration but they really do more als interventions at hfd than we do here.

We used to call the HFD Paramedics "eight week wonders" :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.