Incharge Paramedic vs. Regular Paramedic

Nate

As far as daily operations, we have a supervisor for each region. As far as what happens in the truck like doing checks, filing paperwork and driving to the quicky-mart that is left to be hashed out between the crew members weather they have been there for 1 month or a hundred years. The only time where one medic can really pull rank on annother medic is when you are a higher level paramedic (ACP vs ICP) and you are on a call. The highest level of paramedic is in charge of the call.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate,

The ICP status that you are referring to is pretty limited to our area. Montgomery County Hospital District created the program several years ago to tier their system (P-I through P-IV) with different levels of training to complement the rollout of their new protocols, namely RSI, Pericardiocentisis, C-Spine clearance, Retavase administration, etc. Cypress Creek soon followed with a 3 level system for similar reasons. They seem to work well and it has done wonders in keeping idiot Paramedics from being incharge of a unit. As they say in Hollywood, it "weeds out all the non hackers............" Other agencies have attempted to adopt it throughout the metro area with varying levels of success. Personally I like it and clinically it has done wonders for patient care.....................

Let me clear this up, I'm referring to "in charge" as being a paramedic that out ranks the other paramedic on the truck based upon education, ability, and skill performance, not time with the service. Many of the services here in Houston run what they call an "in charge" paramedic in which this paramedic has the final call on what happens and is usually out ranked by a supervisor. These positions aren't determined by how long you've been with the service, but by how much education, ability, and skill (usually done with a test).

Yeah, we kind of have something like that here. She has about 25 years experience (although one other has about 30 years experience) and she is pretty much the head medic here. She's pretty much buddies with the MD and you could say this gives her an advantage, but at the same time she is just one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. She continuously studies and studies and would have as much knowledge as a nurse if not a physician. It could be argued that she might not have as much skill as some of our HFD medics but she still knows what she's doing. Her rank is captain if I'm right.

It could be argued that she might not have as much skill as some of our HFD medics but she still knows what she's doing.

Okay, I'll bite. What makes "HFD" (whatever that is) medics so special? I'm willing to bet they suck.

What I think sucks is the whole notion of whose behind sits in the chair the longest is the one in charge?

For instance, Lets say you have 10 years experience, Numerous degrees (Masters included), certs out the ying yang, and someone who was an employee for lets say 3 months longer than you were (sans the degrees or anything else for that matter) is senior?

Not that having the responsibility is that great--but something is wrong with that situation...

Nate,

The ICP status that you are referring to is pretty limited to our area. Montgomery County Hospital District created the program several years ago to tier their system (P-I through P-IV) with different levels of training to complement the rollout of their new protocols, namely RSI, Pericardiocentisis, C-Spine clearance, Retavase administration, etc. Cypress Creek soon followed with a 3 level system for similar reasons. They seem to work well and it has done wonders in keeping idiot Paramedics from being incharge of a unit. As they say in Hollywood, it "weeds out all the non hackers............" Other agencies have attempted to adopt it throughout the metro area with varying levels of success. Personally I like it and clinically it has done wonders for patient care.....................

I knew it was local, I was wondering if it had made it outside of us. MCHD pretty much sets the standard for EMS in the Houston area. Ofcourse, you'll never hear that out of any of the services down here on the south side of Houston.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.