EMT-I 85?

ejd049

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When DSHS issued a notice that they were going to bid out their testing and certification process, part of the stipulation was that NREMT would have to allow the EMT-I 85 since we were not an EMT-I 99 state. It would be great to see the EMT-I 99 come to Texas and us shed the EMT-I 85, but it would take a lot ot make it happen because while we don't have a lot of EMT-I's in this state, there are enough that would refuse to go back to school to become I-99's and you can't just "grandfather" them in since there is the addition of more drugs.

Unless you plan on working in an area that has minimal resources to support paramedics, the intermediate, 85 or 99 are money makers for the facility that is putting the class on, and money savers for department administrators. After that there is really little advantage to the level.

I-85's are basically glorified basics that can say that they sat through another class/test. The I-99 is a better step, but if you are going to get that close, why don't you just take a paramedic program and get it over with. Very few areas have the same standards for their intermediates, even in the same state. It was designed as a step between basic and paramedic, and has never really advanced beyond that.

A little off the topic (sorry!) but what is the difference between emt I-85 and 99. also what do the numbers signify?

The numbers represent the years that the curriculum was established. So, I-99 has been around for almost seven years and is not yet the standard nationwide. That ought to tell you something about how progressive EMS is in the US.

As for the differences in course length and scope of practice, I am afraid I don't know. Somebody else will hopefully address that for us. Intermediates are pretty much a rural phenomenon in Texas. Don't see many in urban areas where schools rarely teach the level. Not much need for it. And, of course, a lot of people simply don't like the idea of people so inadequately trained performing ALS interventions.

The I-99 is used here in Maryland and is sometimes referred to by some people as "almost a paramedic."

The CRT-I, or Cardiac Rescue Technician at the '99 level, is allowed to do many of the skills that a paramedic can, abit with more medical control and obviously less education. In some places it is a 9 month program that can be taught by one instructor, usually a paramedic with significant levels of experience.

It is my understanding, however, that the National Registry is getting rid of the I-99 standard and switching back to the previous level of certification. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great "medics" out there, but it really is the very minimum education that can possibly be given in order to be an ALS provider.

The idea in Maryland is that the CRT is a way to provide ALS to the more rural, and less densely populated parts of the state such as Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.