Do you think there is a cognitive component to EMS??

Ace844

Do you think there is a cognitive component to EMS??  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Yes, EMS requires a large component of cognitive and progressive thought reasoning, I'm glad to be educated!!
    • 2.) No, EMS is just monkey see monkey do!!!

Hi All,

do you think there is a definative recognition of the fact that a large part of your profession causes you to improvise, think, and actually learn/know abit about medicine?!??! Or are you of the opinion that ..."Nah, EMS is just monkey see monkey do!!!"

out here,

Ace844

Ace,

To further on my comments on another forum, yes there is a definite need for us right out of school and as our career progresses, to further out knowledge and understanding of what we are doing, why we are doing it, should we do it, should it change, should stay the same, etc......

For those who do not want to further the knowledge they have, they ( i am sorry too say) are a large part of what is wrong with EMS now. The days of playing cowboy and flying by the Seat of your pants are over. More now than ever, every decision you make in regards to pt care needs to be well thought out, well planned, and based on a well educated field diagnosis, that is derived from a very thorough, and accurate pt assessment. For get the old excuse " Well its in our protocols so I did it". That will not fly nowadays. As aggressive as some EMS agencies are getting now (mine included) if you do something that they don't need, or do it wrong because you did not understand how to do it, you will kill your pt. If we as a profession want to receive better pay, better benefits, and more importantly, be viewed as a group of well educated heath care providers, then we have to further out knowledge and understanding, and those who refuse to progress, or don't care to progress, need to get the hell out of the profession that I love, and have devoted the majority of my life too.

And yes AKROEZE this may be directly tied to another topic but i believe it is a very important part of out jobs, and therefor should be discussed, don't you?

Ace,

To further on my comments on another forum, yes there is a definite need for us right out of school and as our career progresses, to further out knowledge and understanding of what we are doing, why we are doing it, should we do it, should it change, should stay the same, etc......

For those who do not want to further the knowledge they have, they ( i am sorry too say) are a large part of what is wrong with EMS now. The days of playing cowboy and flying by the Seat of your pants are over. More now than ever, every decision you make in regards to pt care needs to be well thought out, well planned, and based on a well educated field diagnosis, that is derived from a very thorough, and accurate pt assessment. For get the old excuse " Well its in our protocols so I did it". That will not fly nowadays. As aggressive as some EMS agencies are getting now (mine included) if you do something that they don't need, or do it wrong because you did not understand how to do it, you will kill your pt. If we as a profession want to receive better pay, better benefits, and more importantly, be viewed as a group of well educated heath care providers, then we have to further out knowledge and understanding, and those who refuse to progress, or don't care to progress, need to get the hell out of the profession that I love, and have devoted the majority of my life too.

And yes AKROEZE this may be directly tied to another topic but i believe it is a very important part of out jobs, and therefor should be discussed, don't you?

Yes it can be discussed but it was a VERY... well... I can't think of any other way to say it than biased way to go about it. Not exactly what I want to say but the words escape me at this moment.

That and it could have been covered in the thread that is already discussing it.

"akroeze@ others,"

The reason I made this a seperate thread, albeit somewhat loosely related to others is for the following reasons.

A.) In order to stop a thread discussing one area of complex and interrelated topics from being brought "off topic", hijacked, or otherwise easily locked...

B.) To confirm some suspicions/opinions, and to try to create open productive discussion on this topic.

C.) To try to stimulate discussion on a variety of topics, some related, others not so much....

D.) To try to bring about more group awareness as to "industry-peer opinions" on different areas of our profession.

E.) As I had started another poll which is closely related to this, and I have no idea how to conduct 2 simultaneous polls in the same thread which are related....So thus another poll/discussion thread.

I'm not sure about biased (i.e.: meaning your reference to the fact I may be prejudice against certain ideas..opinions??) as to what you were referring..??

Hope this helps,

Ace844

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.