EMT or EMT-Basic?

Caduceus

It's a good thing there's not a portion of the NREMT just on the different levels of EMTs. (There's not right?)

Technically the "D" modifier that went after the "EMT" was for EMT's that had been trained to use a standard defibrillator and recognize shockable and non-shockable rhythms...at least in some states. Yet another bit of EMS history that shows how fractured EMS has been, and continues to be...

On a side note, anyone else having major problems with pop-ups and getting automatically redirected to other websites from this specific site? Kind of makes it unuseable...

Do you use Google Chrome as a browser? If so, go to the apps page and download Ad Block. It's free, and blocks all those annoying pop ups.

Like I said, Ad Block. It works for all that stuff. I didn't even know EMT City had pop ups till Triemal said anything. -_-"

On another note look at my drawing!!!!

http://leastrandomnumber.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DSCN2605-e1389056418590.jpg

Technically the "D" modifier that went after the "EMT" was for EMT's that had been trained to use a standard defibrillator and recognize shockable and non-shockable rhythms...at least in some states. Yet another bit of EMS history that shows how fractured EMS has been, and continues to be...

On a side note, anyone else having major problems with pop-ups and getting automatically redirected to other websites from this specific site? Kind of makes it unuseable...

My emt license was emt-d and I was one of the first graduating emt classes that got the EMT-D designation. I'm don't think Missouri still uses EMT-D, I guess if I was still an emt in missouri my licensure would probably show EMT-D instead of the newer EMT-B but i'm not sure.. That was a very very long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience was in Southern California. When I hired on a private ambulance company in the mid-70s, EMT-I wasn't required. The fact that I already had my Red Cross CPR and Advanced First Aid cards thrilled the personnel manager as he didn't have to fake a course to get me the cards. I had been instructing first aid and cpr for the Red Cross for years. During my three years on the the private company, I took an EMT-IA(about 80 hour course to qualify to work ambulance) which was basically First Aid and CPR with added tools of a BP cuff and Stethescope. We also had more modern traction splints. In 1978 I got on Los Angeles Fire Department as a "Paramedic Trainee". That was a Civil Service job title and had nothing to do with medical certification. I got another EMT-IA course("we're going to teach you how to do it our way") and worked an EMT-I ambulance(later known as a BLS ambulance) for several months until a slot opened in PM school. In early 1979 I was finally 'certified' as a Los Angeles County Paramedic. Over the next 24 years titles and designators evolved. We became 'EMT-P' while still referred to as Paramedics("are you Paramedics? No there is just one of me"). The State of California took over the testing and certification process from the Counties although each County could put their own tweeks on PM scope of practice. The State changed certification to licensure but it was just the name that was changed. They dropped recertification tests for those that had a lot of time on the job as long as you kept your Continuing Education up. They changed to National Certification just before I retired so I never took that test.

Obviously, the terminology/requirements differ a lot throughout the country and between countries. One has to be mindful of the alphabet titles to work wherever you are employeed but the patients are the same wherever you are working. They are people in distress. Our job is to provide aid and comfort to the suddenly ill and/or injured. The rest is for people who shuffle paper for a living. Good luck on your time in what is either a job no one ever invented or the world's third oldest profession.

History Nut,

I'm guessing you're referring to the old California EMT-1 (like EMT-one) as opposed to EMT-I (like EMT-intermediate). Am I correct?

Obviously, the terminology/requirements differ a lot throughout the country and between countries. One has to be mindful of the alphabet titles to work wherever you are employeed...

Judging by the EMT-1 vs EMT-I confusion, I'd reiterate this point about being aware of the alphabet soup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.