Previous suspended license - washington state

rsmarie

Hello everyone!

I'm an EMT student in Washington state, about to take finals and the NREMT and have a question about employment. I have a previous license suspension on my driving record, not DUI related, I just failed to pay off a ticket in time, and I'm wondering if this disqualifies me from getting a job with and ambulance company (Falck, AMR, etc.). Do they take the reason for the suspension into consideration or do they just consider someone high risk when they see a suspension?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks!

Call your state bureau of EMS. They will be able to tell you what it affects on their end.

The next thing you should do is call some of the companies anonymously and just ask them. Easy peasy to do.

I know that this group is TOTALLY FREAKING AWESOME but best to hear it from the horses mouth.

I would suspect that it's going to be based on how long ago and what the suspension shows on your record.

• Like 2

I would suspect that it's going to be based on how long ago and what the suspension shows on your record.

I would have to second this one. My guess is that as long as you can provide proof (court documents, DMV records, etc.) showing what the suspension was for....and be able to be totally up front, humble, & honest & just say "hey, I screwed up...lost track of time....& didn't get the payment in on time"...or something to that effect, I don't see a reason that it would automatically disqualify you.

The next thing you should do is call some of the companies anonymously and just ask them.

Sage advice, indeed. The only thing that might stand in your way is the company(ies) insurance policy. Some underwriters tend to dictate what they will allow, including suspensions. Best to ask the particular agency that you would apply to, anonymously, prior to going through the process.

Edited by SWA_EMT

You don't say how old you are:::

Many companies won't hire under 21 yo as their insurance companies won't cover them for liability reasons.

As long as the ticket you failed to pay wasn't for criminal speed or felony, then you should be OK if over 21.

As said above be prepared to show all court records pertaining to it. You will have a background check & license check done before getting licensed .

I'm 24. And the ticket was for expired tabs.

Seriously, you got your license suspended for not paying that ticket? As far as I know getting a ticket for expired tabs is a non-moving violation. Why didn't you just pay that ticket?

Not to be argumentative or what not but I hope you are more responsible now than you were when you let your license get suspended for that ticket. What I truly hope is that you are more responsible now than you were back then.

I do have hope for you, I really do.

I had a small income to support two people and had to choose between paying rent and paying a ticket. Also, I posted this in hopes of receiving educated answers on the subject. This site is not here to judge a person's character, question their responsibility or make assumptions about their situations. I hope in the future you can keep your responses professional instead of offering superfluous remarks.

Yes so true but you got good educated answers did you not. I am truly sorry if you were hurt by my remarks but we get so many people here who do not take responsibility for there actions. Avcept my apologies for upsetting you but this is a prime example of how one decision to not do one thing can have significant ramifications down.the road. A sort of cautionary tale I guess. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

And as a matter of fact, responsibility is a key piece in our industry. If it was a 19 year old kid people here would be hitting that kid hard on being responsible and by not paying a ticket regardless of the situation, if this was about a 19 year old kid, wed be all over him for his or her irresponsibility. But again, were not here to judge someones responsibility are we? Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Your apology is appreciated and accepted, and I do accept responsibility for what I did, but I believe choosing to keep a roof over our heads was the more responsible choice. I've been on my own without family or support since long before I was 19, doing the best I can to make and maintain responsible choices. If my license was suspended because of drinking and driving or something like that, I'd understand why I appear irresponsible but it was simply because I didn't make enough money at the time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.