Is this normal for a newbie?

Ok, so I have started my FTR(field training recruit) program this week with AMR here in San Antonio, TX. They put me on a system truck that usually does mainly pt transfers with limited 911 response. We have responded to 3 911 calls this week so far, which my FTO says is rare. As soon as we get toned out, he starts asking me what I am going to do when we get there, how am I going to assess and all that good stuff. En route to the call, I draw a blank. This embarasses the hell out of me and makes me angry. But as soon as we get on scene, it just starts to flow and I find myself asking the right questions and taking the right assessment steps, etc. with little or no help from the FTO. Is this normal for a newbie? Is it just nerves en route and then something else takes over when we get on scene? Just thought I'd ask. My FTO tells me that I am doing a good job and should have no problem once FTR program is over, just need to get a little more comfortable in the job. I dunno if he is just being nice, but then again, would an FTO really give good marks and good comments if they were not warranted? Once again, just thought I'd ask.

I'm not so sure how common it is, but it is certainly normal. Different people react to different stimulus. Apparently you respond well to reality based stimulus, and not so well to theoretical stimulus. Nothing wrong with that. It will serve you well in the field.

Just to compare this to another common situation, there are many people (myself included) who do poorly with theoretical mathematics. The professor has not been born who can teach me college algebra with any level of understanding. Yet in the real world, many of those people excel at mathematical problem solving. For instance, although I do horrible in mathematics classes, I am the nurse that all the other nurses come to to work out their drug calculations for them. And all those other nurses made A's in college algebra.

So long as you are doing well in the field, and as long as your preceptors are recognizing that, I would not worry too much about it. However, it is certainly something that you will want to work on in order to further your career. A public speaking or communications class may prove helpful to you. It doesn't seem to be so much of a knowledge problem as it is the ability to quickly compose and express yourself in formal situations where you are on the spot. Someday you will be the preceptor, and the ability to one-on-one with your students and recognize when they have similar problems will be invaluable to you.

Good luck.

Very Good advise about the Public speaking course.

Don't feel bad about it, I intentionally clear my head and forget what I was toned to in the first place. I can't tell you how many times i have been called to a chest pain and found something completely different like a stubbed toe or a foreign body in an eye. can't always believe what the dispatchers tell you !!!lol Good Luck

• 3 months later...

exactly, different responses to different situations.for example, personally i get more nervous when being questioned by a teacher than by actually doing whatever the action is on a call. im better with the actual patient than a theoretical situation. you`re prob nervous too. i think you`ll be fine :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, the fact you were rolling to an emergency call might have locked you up a little, but you still knew what to do.

I know during scenarios in class that we did slowly step by step with the instructor guiding me through and asking what I would do next, I was indecisive, bumbly, and got stuff mixed up. BUT if you just left me to make do the scenario, I would do a much better job, not just at patient care but at directing the other people in my scenario to do their parts.

Theoretical practice (i.e. scenarios) has been shown to be an excellent predictor of how people will do in real life situations. So, it is great that you have instincts for the job. But you can't rest on that. Slow down, take a breath and think it through. I find even going over a call in your head or with preceptors or partners afterwards can help increase the amount of experience and knowledge you gain from every call.

Years ago...I reacted the same way.........You'll be fine.... Dust's suggestion was a good one. It's just a little "stage fright"....As long as you know your stuff...you'll come out ok. :wink: