Paper topic ideas

medicgirl05

So it is finals time for me. One of my classes the final assignment is to write a paper on a topic in EMS that is suitable to be published.

I have a few ideas for topics, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions...or maybe suggestions as to what not to write about. I know there are many topics that are overdone...

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Goodness, why not just throw your medic book against the wall and when it hits the ground and opens, write a publishable paper on whatever the page opens to. There are so many good subjects out there that you cannot really go wrong with just choosing a topic and going with it.

What's the flavor of the day at EMT City in terms of topics?

What's in the news these days that may cause some of our young men to go to way? Syria and chemical weapons- might want to write about toxicology in the field.

Scene safety.

The list is endless.

What is meant by "publishable?" To have something published typically means a significant amount of work followed by peer review and fighting with an editor. I am not sure making you do something that is "publishable" over the period of a week is the most prudent task to assign. Particularly, if you do not have experience writing papers. Often, published material is written using a foot note reference system that contrasts significantly to APA or MLA format.

I'm not trying to insult you in any way, Medicgirl, but when I hear someone say that something should be publishable I think double blinded, placebo controlled trials but I'm sure that is not what you professor actually wants. That is such a nebulous term that it almost means nothing without clarification (again, not aimed at you). Does he/she want something that could be published as an instructional/educational article in JEMS? As Ruff said, try doing it on something that is current. Right now the Washington Navy Yard is pretty current (still going on as I type). How about doing something on scene safety or responding to an MCI, including a static scene (aircraft accident that remains in 1 location) versus a dynamic scene (a shooting with the shooter still on the loose). Going a little further on that topic, the psychological effects such an incident has on first responders and victims and if you want to make it controversial, talk about CISD.

In the instructions the professor referenced an article in EMS World as an example.

I just want to keep my A in the class, so I need to do a god job. I'm thinking about mental health in EMS in some way. Haven't ironed out the details yet...just curious if anyone had any better ideas.

In the instructions the professor referenced an article in EMS World as an example.

I just want to keep my A in the class, so I need to do a god job. I'm thinking about mental health in EMS in some way. Haven't ironed out the details yet...just curious if anyone had any better ideas.

When I hovered over your link to EMS World, I got this webpage http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141043011025&catId=58058&item=141043011025

I think Digilink went crazy (that's the service that puts in the links or websites that are linked to your link).

Go for the mental health in EMS, suggested pieces to include

burn out

injuries and getting back into work after a significant injury

eating right and keeping healthy

Loss of co-workers and stress involved

The stress of seeing people in all states of health. we see people from healthy to horribly sick and injured. That eats away at your mental health over time

Injured kids

PTSD and options to treat

The list is endless.