Hi all. New and need some advice.

Sounds like someone is a little worked up about my responses.

Yeah...that was pretty pathetic. Try again.

I'll have you know, I have been hearing all of the responses on this thread....t isn't as black and white as "take medicine, can't be in EMS. Don't take medicine, can be."

Here's the thing...all the posts that have suggested you think twice about getting into EMS, not get into it, or that there will be huge difficulties for you...they've all given some very clear reasons why someone with your problem wouldn't be a good fit. The fact that you refuse to listen means that, yes, you are cherry-picking the answers you want to hear and ignoring everything else.

Whether you like it or not, you have been given several things you need to think very hard about before you try and get involved in EMS, or any other kind of medicine. For everyone it's not as simple as "I'm gonna do this no matter what and downsides be damned," and doubly so for you. Until you get your meds worked out and your condition under control you shouldn't even be considering this. Once it is and you've figured out how you well you will function, then you should take an honest look at what has been said and make a decision.

But you obviously aren't capable of doing that.

By the way, I live in the great Northwest as well. With any luck, I'll end up working in your ambulance

For some reason I highly, highly doubt that will ever happen.

Here's the thing...all the posts that have suggested you think twice about getting into EMS, not get into it, or that there will be huge difficulties for you...they've all given some very clear reasons why someone with your problem wouldn't be a good fit. The fact that you refuse to listen means that, yes, you are cherry-picking the answers you want to hear and ignoring everything else.

Whether you like it or not, you have been given several things you need to think very hard about before you try and get involved in EMS, or any other kind of medicine. For everyone it's not as simple as "I'm gonna do this no matter what and downsides be damned," and doubly so for you. Until you get your meds worked out and your condition under control you shouldn't even be considering this. Once it is and you've figured out how you well you will function, then you should take an honest look at what has been said and make a decision.

And who says I'm refusing to listen? Did I not make it clear in my last post that I've been hearing all advice? Would throwing in the towel right now before I even begin qualify as listening to your advice? All responses will be considered. I'm working to get everything under control now. My class starts in a month and a half. I'm going to attend and see how it goes.

Pathetic? Dude, I've obviously struck a nerve. You're a Paramedic. Shouldn't you deal with stress a bit better than this? Relax, bro. Everything will be okay.

And who says I'm refusing to listen?

Well...

Your advice has been noted and will be promptly ignored. I've made my decision. This is what I want to do.

And why would I listen to the advice of someone who gives me a "better quit now" and "people with your problems can't do this job" response?

And as far as it being an occupational issue, I don't really see it being that way.

Thank you. I really want to do this, and I'm going to give it a shot.

Done. You aren't worth wasting time on.

Because I've decided to do something other than what you've told me to do, doesn't mean I haven't been listening. Although you misunderstand my illness (questioning my ability to separate the important from the unimportant out in the field, not how my illness works. I ruminate obsessively after the fact. It would be more like going home and obsessing about whether I did everything right) you have given the best advice i've heard as of yet and I assure you it's taken into account. Can we end the hostility?

Because I say I'm going to give it a shot does not mean I'm not listening. Would you rather me say "okay, I won't do this."

For the record, It's better that I get a realistic view of what I'm up against and I appreciate those who have provided that. You seem to be upset that I'm not following the "you should quit now" advice, and you seem to think that because I have made a different decision that I have disregarded it altogether. You've invested a lot of energy into expressing your views and your frustration has been more than noticed. No need to worry. I have considered everything.

I believe everyone has told him he needs to get this under control. Anxiety can be managed very well with meds, therapy or preferably both. Hopefully he will get the help he needs and has the desire to do so. People with GAD will be compulsive over anything, job related or not. He should fulfill his dreams and goals but everyone agrees he shouldn't be on an Ambulance until he has it controlled and he has time to get that done before he gets his certification.

Good luck to you Seth. Just remember your health, physical and mental are everything here. Someday, even someone without anxiety issues will run into that call where they wonder if there was something more they could have done. You want to be in the right mind set for that. Get a good psychiatrist and make sure he knows your intentions. Find a different medications and better coping skills. Hopefully you can achieve your dreams!

There are certain people on this thread that won't be satisfied until they hear me say "I quit, I won't pursue this as a career." I think it's totally reasonable that I give it a try, all advice considered. Worst case scenario, it will be a bit much for me and I'll go to plan B.

I think everyone just wants you to be informed of the decision you are making. I wish I had heard half of what this board has to say before I became an EMT, just because when I started I wouldn't have been so surprised at what we actually do.

I recently ran a hard call and because of that I want to tell you to run away, because right now I want to run away. We do things that change people's lives. Even when there is nothing we can do, we still become the person that tells someone that their mother is dead, or their child is dead. We become the person that the family hates, or loves. It is a huge responsibility for anyone.

So, don't take their advice as an insult, take it as some people with quite a bit of experience trying to help you make the most informed decision you can.

• Like 1

I think everyone just wants you to be informed of the decision you are making. I wish I had heard half of what this board has to say before I became an EMT, just because when I started I wouldn't have been so surprised at what we actually do.

I recently ran a hard call and because of that I want to tell you to run away, because right now I want to run away. We do things that change people's lives. Even when there is nothing we can do, we still become the person that tells someone that their mother is dead, or their child is dead. We become the person that the family hates, or loves. It is a huge responsibility for anyone.

So, don't take their advice as an insult, take it as some people with quite a bit of experience trying to help you make the most informed decision you can.

Thank you. I was never offended by triemal's posts (although through his obvious frustration it appears he was offended by mine). I was offended by a post a few pages back, and perhaps I should not have been. Saying that if I need medication for day to day life, I'm unfit for EMS. I guess I took it like somebody with no history of mental illness looking down on me without even a shred of understanding, like I'm inferior. That's why I reacted the way I did, because it was such a black and white response.

To be truthful, I'm 23 and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. EMS has for a long time been an idea on the back burner. I've always found it fascinating. I think I'm going to give the class a shot and see for myself. I guess the biggest dilemma now is, could I use that money more constructively?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.