Tell me about Pittsburgh

Hi, I used hang out in Pittsburgh, for months on end, every summer, for many years. That was a long time ago, before I was ever invovled in EMS communities. Recently, I've been considering moving there, I miss how much fun I had, how beautiful the city is and that awesome area of America in general. I'm looking for info on what it's like to be a paramedic there- who medics work for, who does the transporting, who has the 911 contract (like private company or fire), what pay is like, how you get Pennsylvania/Allegheny certification... Or any head's ups or tips at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I used hang out in Pittsburgh, for months on end, every summer, for many years. That was a long time ago, before I was ever invovled in EMS communities. Recently, I've been considering moving there, I miss how much fun I had, how beautiful the city is and that awesome area of America in general. I'm looking for info on what it's like to be a paramedic there- who medics work for, who does the transporting, who has the 911 contract (like private company or fire), what pay is like, how you get Pennsylvania/Allegheny certification... Or any head's ups or tips at all.

First things first, you should call the Pennsylvania Division of EMS or whatever one issues licenses and ask them how to get certified. They are your source of truth.

Next I would do some google searches such as EMS agencies in Pennsylvania or even better EMS Agencies serving Allegheny county as your google search term. Just doing that search I came up with a great site for you. First response on the list. Allegheny county emergency services council which I think you will find has a crapload of info for you. Click on the members link, then click on EMS and there will be a great list of EMS Agencies operating in or around Allegheny county. But here's the link http://www.acemscouncil.org/default.htm

I'm not doing any more of the work for you but I had a few minutes prior to my IT Testing tasks I had to do. It's up to you to do the rest.

If only every county had this type of website it would be much easier to help people find out what they need. This website is a really well put together one. Color me impressed.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.