what can i learn now to get a jump on emt-p training?

EMT613

I am for now just a lowley 'ole B, buta hopefully soon-to-be employer may give me the chance to educate to be a paramedic. What can i study right now to prepare myself? What is the first thing param3dic students are tasked with learning?

Thanks

Jeff S.

Hi, Jeff.

Good questions. It's nice to see you have your sights set for a higher level of learning.

There are several threads that touch on this very topic. Try the search feature to help you with your quest. Every thread is a little different and offers its own insight so reading different discussions will help you in a variety of ways.

In addition to what you'll find in your search please consider these suggestions. All of the following course work should be completed at the college or university level.

First, an English and writing class will help. For example, it's spelled "paramedic". There is no number "3" in the word. Also, a lot of what we do is report writing. These reports become legal documents. Acceptable writing, grammar and spelling skills will help you in the long run if your charts ever wind up being pulled for any kind of QA/QI/legal review.

Next I would suggest several basic science courses including anatomy and physiology, chemistry and microbiology. This is, after all, health care. Health care is based in science. Having a basic understanding of scientific principles and concepts will help you in the long run.

Moving on from there I would suggest a math class or two. Medication calculations take place on a daily basis. Being able to think mathematically and understand the calculations will help prevent you from giving too much medication to someone.

Also, just for a well rounded educational experience, history, sociology, psychology and even philosophy or theology can help prepare a provider who's more aware of the vast and varied backgrounds of the patients s/he will encounter over the course of the day.

Yes, it's a lot. These don't all have to be taken at once. Start with the English and writing classes along with the science and math classes. Add the liberal arts classes in later on.

Also, while some employers do offer tuition reimbursement or similar programs to encourage their employees to excel, don't rely on the boss to pay your way. Perhaps an economics or finance class may help you with budgeting and money management to help you achieve your professional and personal financial goals.

Welcome to the discussions.

Edited by paramedicmike

Take a full A&P course; most schools that I've seen offer a 3 term/2 semester course that starts at the cellular level and works up to cover the entire body; that's what you want.

If your school offers it, a medical terminology class is nice.

If you can find a school that also teaches RN's, RT's, ultrasound tech's, x-ray tech's, etc, look into the curriculum for them. You probably won't be able to get into the core classes, but see what else is required. If there are some basic health courses...take them. Any classes that cover (in broad, general terms) sports medicine, rehab or nutrition...take them. Basically, see what other professions are doing, and follow along.

Sociology and psychology classes are more than a nice to have; if you pay attention they will be worth their weight in gold in the long run. Given that both have a large part in what we do...good stuff. I'd start with a basic introductory class in each, but branch out into relevant topics if you can; some schools have a variation of the course "on death and dying," or "crisis intervention and management," that would be worth it.

Most importantly, keep in mind that what you will learn in paramedic school is not all there is, not enough, may be outdated by them time you are done with class, and if not, WILL be outdated someday. So...keep learning. Dig deeper into pharmacology, ecg interpretation, pathophys, acute and critical care, primary care...and keep up not only with what is happening with EMS, but with the medical field.

• Like 1