EMS Research Paper Brainstorming

Hello, I am currently enrolled in a Managing Emergency Medical Services course at a local University. At the end of the semester we have a 15 page research paper due. I have been brainstorming topics for my paper but I am looking for any advice that you guys can give me on topics. I need a topic that will have plenty of research on it for me to study.

The topic needs to be related to the Management of EMS or something to that effect. The professor said if it is EMS related then the topic will most likely be approved. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In an effort to help guide your brainstorming I'm wondering what your background looks like? Do you have an EMS background? What goal do you hope to achieve by taking the class? What parts of EMS interest you?

I ask these questions because I think it helps to know where your interests lie. The more interest you have in a particular subject the easier it is to do the research.

And the end of the semester? How long do you have to do this paper?

My suspicions are that this might be a non-traditional ems program or an online program and the semesters are a bit different.

Would be nice if the OP would return so we could get your questions answered.

Can't help someone who isn't there.

hope they return???

Hey thanks for the replies so far. This is for the summer semester and this course is only half a semester long so the paper is due June 20th. This is a required course for my degree. I just recently completed my EMT-B certification but I do not have any on the job experience yet. My major is Emergency Services Management and my long term goal is to become a firefighter.

Since you want to be a firefighter and not an EMS provider you could research and take a position on either the pros or cons of fire based EMS. You could research and write on the effectiveness of implementation (or lack thereof) of fire based EMS services nationwide, the effectiveness of EMS delivery in fire based systems (again, or lack thereof), the problems experienced when mergers have been attempted (there are quite a few examples of this out there... I'll let you research the issues to see how it all played out).

I've got a few other ideas but I'm not going to share them all just yet.

One more thought, 24 hour shift and sleep deprivation and the effects on job performance. Particularly whether or not more patients are harmed during the night-time hours versus the day time hours?

Driving habits of new emt's versus experienced emt's

Online based training versus in class training for EMS - which offers a better value/class room experience

Disaster response - are we ready for the big one?

Personal values in EMS - what makes a good EMT/Medic go bad?

There really are a ton of different topics to research and write about. The hardest part seems to be picking one. This is hard especially when you're being told to do it.

Let me ask you this. What interests you about the class? What do you want to know more about? Why did you take the class?