BLS Bag suggestions

FR911

Hey guys. I am a certified CFR-D and I would like to see what you EMTs and Medics consider going overboard on a simple first response bag. Is a BVM a good idea? Is an OB kit just un-necassary? I cant even deliver by myself. I can only assist in deliveries. What about a C-collar? Below is my list of items I carry in my bag (getting a new one with more dividers). I am involved in my OEM District's MRC unit. My state is pretty broad with CFR capabilities. Not just basic first aid and CPR and AED.

1 10x30 Trauma Dressing

2 5x9s ABD Pads

20 4x4 Gauze Pads

10 3x3 Gauze Pads

4 Eye Pads

4 2" Gauze Roller Bandages

3 4" Gauze Roller Bandages

1 Waterproof Tape 1"

1 Waterproof Tape 1/2"

2 Small Ice Packs

2 4" Elastic Bandages

4 Triangular Bandages

1 Blood Stopper

1 Box of 80 Assorted Band Aids

1 Box of 40 Gloves

1 Sharps Container (have no idea why)

Stethoscope/BP Cuff

Instrument Kit (Trauma Shears, Forceps, Bandage Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Penlight)

1 4x4 Burn Dressing

1 Burn Sheet

1 CPR Pocket Mask

1 Set of 6 Assorted Sized Oropharyngeal Airways

1 36" SAM Splint

2 250MLBottles of Sterile Water

1 Triage Tag

1 Biohazard Bag

1 Emergency Blanket

20 Alcohal Prep Pads

1 Tube of Oral Glucose

1 Box of 8 Ammonia Inhalants

Im not a wacker thats gonna be keeping O2 and an AED in his car. :D

I own an Adult BVM, OB Kit, and C-Collar. Do you think they would

be wise additions?

Thanks

For my 2 cents worth:

Get rid of the Triage Tag or get more, 1 just isn't enough. Get rid of the sharps box, it is just taking up space as well as the eye pads. I would add the BVM for sure, as well as the C-Collar, but I wouldn't put the OB kit in. Nothing wrong with having some BLS supplies.

Hey guys. I am a certified CFR-D and I would like to see what you EMTs and Medics consider going overboard on a simple first response bag. Is a BVM a good idea? Is an OB kit just un-necassary? I cant even deliver by myself. I can only assist in deliveries. What about a C-collar? Below is my list of items I carry in my bag (getting a new one with more dividers). I am involved in my OEM District's MRC unit. My state is pretty broad with CFR capabilities. Not just basic first aid and CPR and AED.

1 10x30 Trauma Dressing

2 5x9s ABD Pads

20 4x4 Gauze Pads

10 3x3 Gauze Pads

4 Eye Pads

4 2" Gauze Roller Bandages

3 4" Gauze Roller Bandages

1 Waterproof Tape 1"

1 Waterproof Tape 1/2"

2 Small Ice Packs

2 4" Elastic Bandages

4 Triangular Bandages

1 Blood Stopper

1 Box of 80 Assorted Band Aids

1 Box of 40 Gloves

1 Sharps Container (have no idea why)

Stethoscope/BP Cuff

Instrument Kit (Trauma Shears, Forceps, Bandage Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Penlight)

1 4x4 Burn Dressing

1 Burn Sheet

1 CPR Pocket Mask

1 Set of 6 Assorted Sized Oropharyngeal Airways

1 36" SAM Splint

2 250MLBottles of Sterile Water

1 Triage Tag

1 Biohazard Bag

1 Emergency Blanket

20 Alcohal Prep Pads

1 Tube of Oral Glucose

1 Box of 8 Ammonia Inhalants

Im not a wacker thats gonna be keeping O2 and an AED in his car. :D

I own an Adult BVM, OB Kit, and C-Collar. Do you think they would

be wise additions?

Thanks

• Like 1

What is blood stopper?

I don't think anyone uses ammonia inhalants anymore. At least in my area they are obsolete, I'd remove those.

Another question is do you have a glucometer? I think you should check a blood sugar before administering oral glucose.

There are many forums with this content if you search for it.

A bloodstopper is just another name for an Emergency Pressure Dressing

a gauze pad attached to a roller gauze bandage for severe bleeding

I dont think I need a glucometer. Im only going to use the glucose if a conscious patient with a patent airway says they are a diabetic and I see the signs of hypoglycemia (cold, clammy, swetty, anxious).

I agree with you firemedicmcse. The OB Kit is just not worth having in their for the space it takes up. Our MRC has a seperate Dynamed OB Kit with a case and handle. BVM and C-Collar have much more potential.

Edited by FR911

I would definitely add a BVM, C-collar. and glucometer, and would consider a small SPO2 monitor (perhaps a finger mount) as well. I guess it does depend on what you are carrying the bag for. Its easy to get caught in the trap of carrying stuff "just in case" . I dont know what falls within your scope - can you use OPAs? They would go hand in hand with the BVM.

Before offering any advice I have a few questions that I think need to be answered.

How old are you?

Are you affiliated with any kind of EMS organization? If the answer is no then why aren't you?

In what State?

Are you familiar with your scope of practice?

Are you taking an EMT class? If no, why not?

You'll forgive some of us for being cautious. We've had several people, only slightly more whackerish than you, present themselves to us recently with the exact same presentation you've brought. Specifically, they've posted tired jokes relating to "you might be in EMS when...", posts refuting their whacker status but asking "Hey! Is my whacker bag stocked enough?" and "what equipment is carried on...?". Coincidentally, those are three of your posts today.

While considering the answers to these questions, I suggest you research any Good Samaritan laws in your State to see what they allow or don't allow. I also suggest you research what the scope of practice allows for your certification level (And honestly? First Responder isn't really worth as much as you think it is.).

• Like 2

Oral glucose in many states requires medical direction online, or offline orders. I'd check into that

OK, was just browsing another EMT site and a BEN52 Is asking this same kind of question today. A benasack was banned here. Is this coincidence?