State Transfer, NREMT Renewal, No CEUs - Help!

AMBender

Hi All -

So, I'm freaking out just a bit.

I currently hold a PA EMT license (due to expire 10/2013) and a NREMT Cert. (expiring next month.) I am also moving to Colorado. To be certified in CO, I just need to submit some paperwork, current CPR, and NREMT documents. My CPR/AED has expired, but I can get new ones pretty easily. What I'm concerned about is renewing my NREMT. I don't have any CEUs because right after I got my NREMT I took a job outside the EMS field and stayed with it for the past 2.5 years. It was a traveling job where I was on the road for all but a few weeks.

The NREMT website states: "Certified EMS professionals may make one attempt to demonstrate continued cognitive competency by taking an examination (in lieu of documenting continuing education) within six months of their expiration date (October 1 through March 31)." OK, but it also says, "Be actively working within an emergency medical service, rescue service, or patient health care facility using your EMT-Basic / EMT skills." which I'm obviously not.

Am I completely screwed here? Is there anyway to get re-certified or do I have to go inactive, take a whole new course in CO, and re-test?? I'm still doing research and will make some phone calls, but I thought I might check in here to see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance.

- Alex M Bender

Alex, I think you have to be actively working in an EMS capacity for the registry. I'm not registry certified and I think they are a sucky organization and just out to make money off of us at our expense and have never liked them but that's a side bar story for another time.

But I think that if you are not actively working that you are indeed screwed but you need to call the registry and talk to them directly in order to get the answer directly from them instead of relying on getting answers that may or may not be correct here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,for matters that directly affect your livelihood or career or life, get them directly from someone who knows what they are talking about. For this instance, it's the national registry. You would not get your legal advice that might affect how long you go to jail from someone off the street, you would talk to a lawyer right, so why would you not talk to someone at the national registry.

You would not get surgical advice from a EMT, you would get your advice from a surgeon right?

So call the national registry, talk to the nice person on the phone and ask them those questions and discuss it with them. The time it takes you to fix the mess that you get from some of the advice you get on this site (not saying that the advice you will get here is bad, but we have had bad advice given) will be more than the time it would take you to call the Registry and get the right advice the first time.

• Like 1

I am not NREMT registered, but if I were you I would do the following: 1. Contact the NREMT to find out about what they require for CE & if online CE is approved 2. Contact the PA Office of EMS & see if any of their CE is NREMT approved. Good Luck

Edited by 1EMT-P

I am not NREMT registered, but if I were you I would do the following: 1. Contact the NREMT to find out about what they require for CE & if online CE is approved 2. Contact the PA Office of EMS & see if any of their CE is NREMT approved. Good Luck

NR only allows so many online hours but if it is live online it is considered same as being in the class so it is all allowed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.