Road to becoming an ACP

J306

Hey everybody, it's been a while since I've posted, so I just wanted to give a quick update on how my practicum is going and a few things I've learned along the way.

I'm almost finished my 3rd tour of my ambulance time and have had a really positive experience! All of my hard work and critical thinking skills I've developed has paid off quickly. During my ER time, the nurses let me work along side them as if I were an RN myself and while porting one of my patients to the OR the anesthesiologist let me start a second line and intubate the patient. I began running calls start to finish my first day back on car and it felt much more natural being able to actually treat these patients acute symptoms instead of sitting on them. It feels great to be able to physically see the treatments you're providing work.

One trend that I've noticed and that I wanted to get some insight on is the concept of identity politics, which is when providers try and use their titles as power and to put down others. If there's one thing that I absolutely do not agree with is the attitude that I have seen a lot of advanced providers adopt and project on providers of lower levels. We are all part of the same team working towards the same goals for the best of our patients.

Attitudes aren't the greatest at the service I'm doing my practicum right now, and the politics are really bringing me down and effecting my overall experience. I'm trying to stay out of it and busy myself with chores, but the stress levels of the staff are really starting to wear off on me. This scares me, since this has never been an issue for me before. I've alway been able to stay motivated by the calls and by providing the best possible patient care.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep a clear mind and rise above the politics and negative attitudes. I figure as a student, I should be applying those skills early so while I'm in the field it will not be an issue.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the organisation, but kudos for deciding to stick it out and deal with the issues rather than run to the school and whine for a new preceptor or practicum site. From your post I can glean that the sour mood of the staff there has nothing to do with you but with their work environment. All I can suggest to you is to do exactly what you're doing and remember, you don't work there. Don't let them drag you into their politics. Above all, keep in mind that your presence there is temporary, you will pay your dues and escape the place once school is complete to move on to a better place....kinda like purgatory.

• Like 1

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep a clear mind and rise above the politics and negative attitudes. I figure as a student, I should be applying those skills early so while I'm in the field it will not be an issue.

Focus on the things that you can change, not on the things that are out of your control. Union issues, management issues, contractual issues, hospital wait times, AMPDS not working, etc. will just make you angry, unless you have power to effect change.

Try and avoid the group-think. Resist the urge to compromise your values to fit in, and remember that you often have a choice, be popular and well-liked or do your job properly.

Keep your head down until you've been in a position for a year. Never talk badly about someone else, because it will come back to them, and cost you.

Remember that you're privileged to be in a position where you can help people, remember that you chose this occupation. Have an active and full life outside of work. Don't spend all your spare time hanging around with other EMS types.

Don't judge people, just help them. You won't stop drunk people from getting drunk, or people calling 911 for frivolous reasons. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I only have one tour left and I'm going to talk to my Practicum co-ordinator today about doing the second half of my practicum in the other placement. Great advice, I've already started trying to apply it.