What is life of a paramedic like?

I already knew the world was fucked in the head and that people are generally bastards (with some nice people thrown in for good measure) and such.

12 hour shifts are a bit of a bitch, granted, but the four days off are pretty badass.

16 hours in 24? Hahahaha, what the fuck, who on earth came up with that should be forced to actually work 16 hours, drive home, get a couple hours sleep then wake up, drive to some random address and do a bunch of drug calculations ... that's crazy dangerous. Locally the Land Transport Act limits are 13 hours in a 24 hour period with no more than 5.5 hours at work without a 30 minute break, yes, for our purposes, sitting at the station on your arse watching TV waiting for a job counts as work!

Bushman, what the fuck man, don't they have FoxTel on Demand so you can record you pr0nz or something for after work?

True that, I mean the only pr0nz you likely to find on FoxTel is that soft core pay-per-view shit, best to just deny all knowledge of that right there.

The only thing that really surprised me was how incredibly hungry I got on 12 hour shifts I mean WOW! for a skinny rake little fucker I would just eat like a bloody horse and was always wolfing down something whenever I got the chance.

It can also get pretty boring if you are not doing anything; the day tends to be fairly regular whereas at night you can go hours without a job and unless there is something decent on TV you are pretty fucked if some doucheface is hogging the station computer and unfortunately it would look too suspect for him to drop dead and to get the suxamethonium out the fridge might attract attention ... so I recently rediscovered lost past time of teh reading, and its like some sort of intellectual orgasm.

errr yeah...

i was thinking more like sleep debt, depression, unstable rosters, inflexible leave arrangement, shitty workplace cultures, being at the mercy of whether your partner is a good bloke or a fuktard, the ridiculous levels of bullying and harrassment in healthcare, things like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.