Physicians Claim Cheerleading Injuries Call for More Sport Supervision

News

Injuries over past two decades have climbed dramatically.

APCheerleaders.jpg

In this Sept. 9, 2011 file photo, a cheerleader from Nampa High School is thrown into the air as the cheer squad practices their stunts before a game in Nampa, Idaho. In a new policy statement released online Monday, Oct. 22, 2012 in the journal Pediatrics, the American Academy of Pediatrics says school sports associations should designate cheerleading as a sport, and make it subject to safety rules and better supervision. (AP Photo/The Idaho Press-Tribune, Charlie Litchfield, File)

9aIw1bjNMkE

View the full article

I went to my alma mater and watched the cheerleaders. I didn't notice a cheerleader coach anywhere near the girls.

What I also noticed was the willy nilly routine that the girls were putting together. I watched the two smallest girls climb up the pyramid to stand on the top and then just jump down and it seemed like they were praying that they would be caught. There was no rhyme or reason how they were caught.

It was like the girls had put together the routine and not a coach. Or if the coach had put it together it was not one that could be considered professionally done. I am surprised that the kids for my alma mater have not been injured, they were that bad.

So if this recommendation is fully implemented and it keeps even a couple of our kids in high school or college from getting these catastrophic head or spinal injuries, then it's a good thing.

For several years now I have doubted the wisdom of parents letting their girl children be catapulted into the air, to be caught by other girl children. Each of these maneuvers are performed without head gear, pads, safety harness, lainards.

Maybe blonds aren't actually born that way, just dropped on their head while cheerleading.

I also question the wisdom too.

After the night of my alma mater football game, I have solidified my hesitation to keeping my daughter away from cheerleading unless the program is accepted as a sport and there is more than the girls making the routines up themselves.

There has to be more than just "hey let's throw Gabby up in the air and hope we catch her". I also don't want the teacher who gets the short straw to be ramrodded into being the cheerleading coach like it was in my high school time.

There must be in my opinion someone trained in coaching cheerleading, not just a teacher who either gets chosen by random or a gym coach who has it in their job description.

So making cheerleading a sport is not a bad idea.

And DFIB, don't you know that Being a blond is not genetic, it's a "choice"!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punk:

I am not sure I want to consider cheerleading a sport, rather than entertainment. But I definitely believe there needs to be much stricter safety supervision and better coaching. There have been occassions where I attend cheerleading matches (for my grandaughter) and I see some spotters on the matches but I would like to see less throwing of someone in the air and expecting (hoping) to be caught.

Sometimes I want to run and grab my jumpbag from the car and just standby hoping my services are not needed.

Edited by emtdennis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.