Conciousness Scanner in Ambulances?

Arctickat

Hmm, considering how anal (sorry Dwayne) I am about duplicate threads on the same topic one would think I should have used the search function a bit more. I tried "Halifax scanner" "Consciousness scanner" and Halifax Consciousness Scanner". weird, it shoulda popped up.

But, in medicine, duplication or bringing up the old is not necessary a bad thing. This topic also not what I would call old. Many things are initiated in another country and watched in the US for many years until the company gets approval to market it here in the US.

If you see something interesting like a medication or piece of technology and wonder if it will ever be introduced in prehospital, you should follow it and not forget it.

My approach in my last post may not have been presented well. I am not dismissing this device since I think it is definitely needed to get a more ideal care setting in long term care of these patients and to change the minds of the insurances about rehabilative possibilities. But, prehospital has so many other areas it could spend $80k for each device on such as better safety features for ambulances, intubation training equipment, CPAP, ECG monitors and communication systems to better connect facilities and professionals. A secure data system to retrieve patient info quickly like Kaiser would also be great for EDs. If I had my preference right now and reimbursement by the insurances had to be chosen, I would prefer it spent on identifying locked in syndrome and placing these patients in a more appropriate care setting for rehab potential or for providing appropriate care for what might be the rest of their lives. The other area would be funding the neuro centers to provide the highest possible care to treat TBIs and CVAs.

It took over 70 years for some medical devices like CPAP, ECGs and portable verntilators to enter prehospital for EMS even though specialized transport teams started using them 30 years before. This is new so keep watching and bringing up the topic again in a few months to see if it has been seen by anyone would not be a bad idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.