AMR Suspends Medics For Working For Competitor

mikeymedic1984

Well I guess you educated me to a difference that I had not thought of -- If someone signs a contract and knows this info up front, then I guess shame on them for being stupid. But does AMR really make everyone sign a contract, or is it just a policy that you find out about in orientation, after being hired ?

I see your point AK, but how would you feel if all the 911 providers around you had the same no compete clause, making it impossible for you to hire anyone close ?

Many times you find out about this in your orientation.

For many people it's a deal breaker and they have to quit or choose between one service or the other.

Your primary responsibility is to your full time job. Your 2nd job is just that, your 2nd job. If all your jobs were part time, then this wouldn't be a issue I don't think.

But your primary responsibility is to your full time job. So if your full time job calls you and says they need you to cover a shift and you are already signed up at your part time job, you can only do that so many times before you begin to possibly see your full time job turn into a not so full time job anymore.

I think that another reason your employer puts this kind of policy in place is that they want to be able to count on you to work. If you aren't working for a 2nd job then you are available to them to cover open shifts. And seriously, if your service needs you to work, then it's most likely an overtime shift and you are probably going to make more money on the OT shift than you would working your part time gig but maybe not.

If you don't like the policy, then there is always the front door, you can choose to not abide by the policy and hope you won't get caught but that's a pipe dream as everyone usually knows where everyone else works. It's a small EMS community no matter where you work.

So best advice I have

Don't sign any paperwork that an employer puts in front of you until you understand what it says. Take it to a lawyer if you have to. To not do so is operating at your own peril.

Second, if you disagree with the policy of not being able to work for a competetor, then either don't or quit.

But one more thing, you need to have them define what a competetor is. If they only do 911 calls then can they truly call "Ethels medical van transport service" who only does transfers a competetor? If they only do transfers can they call a service who does strictly 911 calls a competetor?

I would get that definition out there. Maybe there is some common ground to make up in that arena.

You never know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.