Ohio Fire Chief May Give Firefighters, EMS Workers Guns

News

This doesn't sit too well with me...

With as many of the 'glory hounds' that seem to infiltrate our ranks on a daily basis, putting a loaded firearm in their hands would only encourage a spike of 'The Blue Knight Syndrome' where these armed chuckleheads are going to go out and try to save the world by themselves.

I've seen this type of behavior in security companies, and in some new police officers. We DON'T need it in EMS as well!

We can't get these 'Ricky Rescue' types to drive slow enough to keep from destroying their rigs (and injuring/killing themselves and others), can we REALLY trust these people to keep a level head with a loaded firearm?

• Like 1

Well our police don't even carry guns....needless to say my position on this is very very against it. Although maybe if you work in such a hostile environment that it's needed then maybe there is arguments for it. But I don;t see Ohio being that hostile a place. Also, because they encounter "belligerent and unpredictable people" as a reason? That's been the nature of the job since pretty much forever.

I have no problem with carrying concealed on the job. I think the motivation in the article is screwed. "He said they encounter belligerent and unpredictable people, and police are not always immediately available to subdue or arrest troublemakers."

The job does not entail behavior modification of belligerent or unpredictable people. It does not involve subduing troublemakers which would be police actions. THe purpose of concealed carry, at least on a personal level, is to have the opportunity to safely disengage so that LE can arrive and do their job. Motivation, training, maturity and clear guidelines will be the key for success or failure of this initiative.

If the same people that have privately carried weapons for years begin to carry at work there should be no difference noted. If services begin to arm the "adrenaline junkies" there could be difficulties.

Over all I would love to be able to exercise the same rights on and off duty.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

... Motivation, training, maturity and clear guidelines will be the key for success or failure of this initiative....

Wait, the rest of us were talking about things possible within EMS, what the hell are YOU talking about?? :-)

The majority of the shooting cases that they mention, (the ambulances being shot), I'm not sure why they would be examples of reasons to carry a weapon, but can certainly see why they are examples of not carrying them. Would those crews have been better served to stop and return fire in those situations, or continue on, assholes and elbows, and get out of that situation?

There is not a single service that I've ever been exposed to, nor ever even heard of, where making this a policy accross the board would be realistic. And I'm confident that any service that tries will soon, within weeks, remove it as it will be misused...Craziness.

Plus, what about split priorities? Why are you there? How about public trust? Many are opposed to badges and dark uniforms for this same reason, but guns will somehow be appropriate?

Nah...this isn't going to happen in any way that I can see...and I'm glad for that..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.