Just starting Paramedic from EMT-b

crashwilley

Yeah, I went from EMTB to ASA Paramedic. It was really tough, but I think it was good. At least if you don't listen to the whackers that tell you that "experience before education is best as it's Cowboy shit that gets you through!"

I think I've become a decent medic without having a bunch of experience as a B, but you better have balls, because though you may make it through the didactic, the social pressure will be significant. Brains and then experience, or take the easy road....the choice is yours Brother...

• Like 1

I went from EMT-B to EMT-I to AAS Paramedic without ever having actually worked as an EMT or EMT-I. It's a hard transition if you don't have any field experience, because then you're not only learning how to be a good paramedic, but also a good EMT as well. Working as an EMT definitely helps to get you familiar with how field medicine is done, but it's certainly not something you can't overcome--it just means you'll have to work harder than those who already have field experience.

Good luck to you man!

• Like 2

I think of it as a double edge sword. I spent 5 years as a EMT-B before pursuing EMT-P certification. Getting back to the testing mindset I found was difficult at first. I was able to pull from my experience which helped out a lot.

The advantage of going straight through in my opinion is that you don't leave that testing mindset.

Edited by wrmedic82