Interview for ED Tech Position (Paramedic)

jamonic1

All of this information is helpful. The position they have advertised for is an ER clerk position. In my cover letter I mentioned that I would like to work with patients. and that my clerical skills are lacking. My thoughts are that since they are still giving me an interview that maybe they need someone with my training. Yes, I am trying to make a position for myself. This is the same hospital ER that I completed some of my paramedic training in and I know the nurses in the ER. I have just received my Paramedic license in April. I have been accepted into nursing school and start this fall.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Clearly, a clerk position will not offer as much in regards to clinical experience, but I would not fault you for doing it if it will allow you to ultimately achieve your goals. Additionally, it will put your foot in the door at a hospital and making good impressions and networking will be nothing but helpful when you start looking for a job as a new grad nurse. Good luck.

@jamonic1. It sounds like you have a plan and have thought this through . I wish you success at all of it.

Come back and let us know how it turns out for you. I always like to hear good news!

It depends on the ED. We utilize both ED techs and clerks. Our clerks have little to no patient contact, while our ED techs do nothing BUT patient care. All of our techs are Paramedic/EMT's and are used in every aspect of the ED. We respond to codes, work traumas, transport to OR, assist with procedures (chest tubes, reductions, lacerations), draw labs, and perform triage. I would re-check the application and make sure that you did not apply to a clerk position. If it is in fact a tech postion, just know that there are better opportunities out there to use your skill set!

Best of luck!

If the job description says you will be dealing with insurance and other paperwork which might concern payment, chances are you will need to keep your skills as a Paramedic separate. Hospitals try not to give health care providers who have direct patient care the responsibility of asking for payment.

Check the job description again. A general basic EMT cert is okay for a clerk position since some understanding of medical terminology may be needed. Over selling yourself for a position that really does not need that requirement or where there might be a conflict between medical and money might not go in your favor.

get on a MICU somewhere and do what you have trained to do, you didn't go to nursing school or MA school or CNA school you went to MEDIC school....PARAMEDIC means outside the hospital, I speak on this to you because I made that horrible mistake, yes a little bit more money, however you get the privilige of doing everything the nurse doesn't want to do, advice to you....PASS on this and get on the box

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.