Colorado AEMT Question

dmedic248

Hello ladies and gentlemen:

I am a new AEMT student. I want some more advanced skills and preparation for medic school, and I felt this would be a good step before applying to schools.

That being said, I have some questions about the practicality of being an AEMT in Colorado. Any Colorado residents have any idea if there are even AEMT JOBS in Colorado? From what I hear (rumors from the rabble at school) I will not have any AEMT protocols to work under in this state, and I will effectively be an EMT.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the new AEMT level is just that, NEW. The NREMT will not even be testing AEMT-2011 until Jan of 2013. Considering that, most agencies are still figuring out what they are going to do with this new level. It may take a few years to get it into gear.

Steve

The NREMT is already testing both AEMT psychomotor and written exams. While the written exam is a flat 135 questions, I imagine it too will eventually become an adaptive exam. Testing at the I/85 level will end in 2013 however.

The NREMT is already testing both AEMT psychomotor and written exams. While the written exam is a flat 135 questions, I imagine it too will eventually become an adaptive exam. Testing at the I/85 level will end in 2013 however.

Hmmm, that is different than what we were told by the state EMS coordinator. Can you cite a source?

Check the NREMT website. My state has already mandated all new intermediates must test the AEMT psychomotor and written exams. I graduated one of the first classes of AEMT candidates back in May. In fact, as of next year the psychomotor exam will mandate a cardiac arrest management station. Also, I had to take the AEMT exam to transition from my prior credential as an I/85. Your state may not yet require registry, but the testing process is already in motion at the national level.

Check the NREMT website. My state has already mandated all new intermediates must test the AEMT psychomotor and written exams. I graduated one of the first classes of AEMT candidates back in May. In fact, as of next year the psychomotor exam will mandate a cardiac arrest management station. Also, I had to take the AEMT exam to transition from my prior credential as an I/85. Your state may not yet require registry, but the testing process is already in motion at the national level.

Wich cardiac arrest management station? The AED one (wich we are preparing them for) or the mega code one...current AEMT-2011 does not have any EKG recognition material in it.

You can find all the specific data on the nremt website. However, the cardiac arrest management station that the AEMT must take is not the same as the paramedic dynamic cardiology station. I am not sure what you mean by AEMT-2011 however. That is not a national registry provider level or are you referring to the year that the registry officially rolled out the AEMT?

Wich cardiac arrest management station? The AED one (wich we are preparing them for) or the mega code one...current AEMT-2011 does not have any EKG recognition material in it.

Disregard, just confirmed my original assumtion was correct.

https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/reg_aemt_history.asp

You can find all the specific data on the nremt website. However, the cardiac arrest management station that the AEMT must take is not the same as the paramedic dynamic cardiology station. I am not sure what you mean by AEMT-2011 however. That is not a national registry provider level or are you referring to the year that the registry officially rolled out the AEMT?

That is the way we are referring it to here around here, just as the EMT I/85 and the EMT-I/99. In Idaho we have had a level with the same/similar title for a long time ( it was the EMT-I/85)