Radios

Lyndon22

I don't have any experience with that particular model. But Icom does make quality, heavy duty handhelds.

You're the only one here who knows what your operational requirements are and what specifications and features you might need. The F-11 is a pretty bare-bones model without many features, but as long as it meets your requirements and the price is right, you won't go wrong quality wise with Icom. Unless there is some reason that you are dead set on that particular radio, I would definitely not spend my money before I checked out similar Kenwood products and did a comparison.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing. Unless you live deep in the Ozarks or Appalachian mountains where the volunteer fire departments have zero money, you won't find fire, police, or EMS operating on CB channels. In fact, you won't find anything worth listening to on CB radios anywhere.

Your best bet is to go to your nearest Radio Shack and have the people there explain the system to you. They will be familiar with what is necessary in your area. Be aware that the radio necessary to listen to the cops in your area may be very different from what is required in my area. That is why talking to somebody local is so important.

That said, what you need is not a CB. What you need is a scanner. You can get an idea of what is available at http://www.scannerworld.com

But remember, do NOT buy anything until you have talked to somebody IN YOUR AREA who knows exactly what you need.

Isn't it illegal for a government or for profit agency to operate on "citizens band" freq.?

Nope. In fact, that is exactly what CB was originally set up for. Casual and "hobby" communications were prohibited until recently. The progressive migration of business and government to higher frequencies eventually left the 11 meter spectrum unnecessary, leaving it open for the current personal and hobby usage.

I have relatives up in Arkansas who still use CB for their VFD's primary comms.

I remember the days when you had to take a test and pay to get your CB license. You were issued a physical license and a call sign pretty much like any other radio operator and station and restricted to a specific collection of frequencies and transmit power.

Many, many years ago.

{KQK-4314 - operating under the handle of 'The Calico Cat' and I wish I could remember the call sign from my old HAM novice code only license from 1968, but I can't right now...}

Yep! I received KBP-2402 back in the early 70's, before the big craze. Held on to it for many years before letting it expire sometime in the mid 80's, even though I was not using it.

I first used CB back in 1968 when living in Florida. The Cocoa Beach Lifeguards used them. KBN-4560 on channel 11. You could listen all day long and never hear a single transmission except for the lifeguards. That's how sparse it was back then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.