EMT Phrases:

Mikeb25

I'm 19 years old and I will be starting EMT classes in September,

I would like to be as prepared as I can be for the class!

So one of my questions are :

What are a list of phrases you know?

and what do they mean?

For Example:

Example: BSI : Body Substance Isolation.

Also: What do you do to help yourself mentally prepare for the class?

As in: Performing your skills in front of your instructor and other students?

Study tactics and learning the information even though so much is bunched together?

Passing the written and practical tests and exams.

Also any other information about the class or advice about EMT classes and work would be great!

All advice is very greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:)

Edited by Mikeb25

Work with a "mentor" in the ambulance service where you are vollying.

Discuss with this person what you are covering in class.

Practice-Practice-Practice.

Watch these boards, ask questions,

Just my short .02 worth

• Like 1

Congratulations on starting your EMT course. You will find it to be proportionally fulfilling to the effort you put into the class.

Here is a link to a list of abbreviations that might help you.

Some EMS phrases that come to mind are "Never do anything you wouldn't tell you paramedic", "If it is wet and not yours, don't touch it" and "If your patient has a priaprism, he is not happy to see you"!

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I think that link is what I was looking for!

Another question:

What do you do to control your anxiety in front of your class and instructor for the practical practices?

And what do you think or say to yourself?

Thanks for all your advice and everything you do to help me be more prepared!

:)

Rather that worry about various terms that change from area to area, I suggest you take time to learn proper medical terminology. As always, the importance of a two semester sequence of anatomy and physiology with labs cannot be understated.

• Like 3

Rather that worry about various terms that change from area to area, I suggest you take time to learn proper medical terminology. As always, the importance of a two semester sequence of anatomy and physiology with labs cannot be understated.

This is really so important that it bears repeating.

Taking a medical terminology course will be an excellent benefit to you. May community colleges even offer this online. Be sure to take a credit awarding class. You never know when you might need the credits in the future.

Taking a two semester college level anatomy and physiology class will prove to be endlessly valuable before, during and after your EMT class. You will not learn the A&P you need to know in your EMT class. Taking a college level A&P class will help you learn and understand the human body, which is what you'll be dealing with as an EMT, more than anything in your EMT class ever will.

• Like 3

Okay - Good idea.

Since my EMT class will hopefully be recent, is there any way to learn the medical terminology from the link posted from this comment above?

OR is there a better way besides classes so soon?

Thanks for everything!

Edited by Mikeb25

Okay - Good idea.

Since my EMT class will hopefully be recent, is there any way to learn the medical terminology from the link posted from this comment above?

OR is there a better way besides classes so soon?

Thanks for everything!

Unfortunately not. The process of learning generally involves time and effort.