New EMT Student...

I am new here to EMT CITY and new to the world of EMS. I am currently taking EMT Basic classes at my local college. I been scanning through some posts here reading different takes on the same subject. I am really feeling over whelmed. I am 43 years old and just starting out In emergency medicine am I nuts or what? I have a feeling I am going to need alot of advice from you guys.

• Like 1

It is good to have you here in the forums reindancer! Welcome.

You should fit right in here with your age. I began EMS at 42. Many of the regular posters started EMS later in life as well. I believe that in makes us better providers because we don't get sucked into the whacker BS as easy as younger students. Even if we do ride the whacker wagon for a while we are pretty quick to jump off.

Stick around and participate. You will have lots of fun here.

Edited by DFIB

Ditto to all that. I became an ECA at 40(ish), a Basic two years later, an intermediate two years later and then a Paramedic a year after that. You do the math. I have now been a paramedic for about 2.5 years...2 in the field and the last 1/2 in an outpatient clinical setting. There are so many things (I think) that we can do!

The only thing that can hold you back is yourself.

My only piece of advice is to not accept any one person's word for anything. Do the research...understand the why.

Toni

Ditto to all that. I became an ECA at 40(ish), a Basic two years later, an intermediate two years later and then a Paramedic a year after that. You do the math. I have now been a paramedic for about 2.5 years...2 in the field and the last 1/2 in an outpatient clinical setting. There are so many things (I think) that we can do!

The only thing that can hold you back is yourself.

My only piece of advice is to not accept any one person's word for anything. Do the research...understand the why.

Toni

Who are you kidding? You know you are n't a day over 30!

• Like 1

Dfib...flattery will get you everywhere!

Getting leverage, you could be my future teacher! You are very welcome!