Am I a Degreed Paramedic?

CytochromeP450

You know what Brother? With a degree in biologic sciences you'll be so far ahead of the medics that you work with normally that it will be ridiculous.

Because of being a member here I dropped out of a 7 month program and got an AAS in paramedic medicine and it's rarely done anything for me, where others are concerned, but piss people off. As a medic it's made all the difference in the world.

Trust me on this. Someday you'll be sitting in a room of, say, ten medics and you'll all be talking about school and you'll mention your degree....two of them will go, "Right on! I wish I would have done that!" and the other eight will look at you like you just grew a vagina on your forehead. Why? Because those eight know the truth...that being a paramedic is about blood and mashing ribs...all of that silly book learnin' just gets in the way.

In my mind? You're a degreed paramedic +5, for what that's worth. But you'll find that to be an uncommon feeling outside of EMTCity.

Also, if an employer asks about your degree it's unlikely unless you're looking to get into management (Most positions of which are filled by basics in my experience) that they will care what it's in. I can't say for sure, as my friends have referred me most of my jobs, but I'm pretty sure that my degree had no part in it.

Good on you man, I hope that you'll stay around. I truly look forward to your thoughts.

There are other social and academic aspects to consider when we compare a person with a BA to one who has not achieved this degree. The first thing that comes to mind is that you had the discipline to complete a BA. This speaks volumes as to character and work ethics, generally speaking. Of course there are exceptions in every case.

Another aspect is that you life experience will be a tapestry of interaction with professional people, One could say that the more education a person has the better well rounded professional you will make. I believe that chbare referenced this in talking about humanities and stuff. The additional information that is not specific to para-medicine but related will open a more educated persons mental horizons and allow for different and more progressive ideas both in human interaction and administrative aspects.

Although there are people who are crazy smart that are certificate medics the study habits and disciplines acquired in college will allow a person to not only learn more but apply their knowledge more efficiently in the field.

I would most likely categorize you as a paramedic with a BA in science which in a practical sense is simply a matter of semantics in my opinion

It is good to have you here. I will enjoy conversing with you. I hope you find time to stick around.

Thank you all for your responses and encouragement.

Hoenstly, I loved my education but there are times when I wonder how much good it has done me. I definitely have a better understanding of many things because of it, but I frequently find myself frustrated when it comes to the opportunities, or lack thereof, that it provides. When I look at career options, I either need to go on to more schooling to make it bare fruit, or I find myself lacking the technical certifications for a lateral carrer change -- despite having the foundation and clinical exposure to be very effective at it.

I remember someone posting once that, if everyone with potential went on to pursue greener pastures, prehospital care would never grow up from its technican, rather than clinician, oriented mindset. I frequently find myself straddling that fence between the two hypothetical fields. My heart really is in EMS and it is this community that keeps me going.

Thank you all.

I remember someone posting once that, if everyone with potential went on to pursue greener pastures, prehospital care would never grow up from its technican, rather than clinician, oriented mindset. I frequently find myself straddling that fence between the two hypothetical fields. My heart really is in EMS and it is this community that keeps me going.

However, if those with potential *didn't* move on to greener pastures, EMS almost certainly wouldn't grow up. Without those who have worked EMS and gone on to higher levels in health care we would still be at the Johnny and Roy level of picking up a nurse on the way to a call. Or worse.

It's a rare enough event that those in EMS with potential actually move on. Most EMS providers don't have any college level education. They're high school grads who got a quick job and are now stuck in a rut working three jobs just to make ends meet because they have little to no marketable job skills. So moving on is either something they can't do or they won't do because of the time requirements involved with going back to school. While there are many EMS providers who are very intelligent with huge potential, many just aren't in a position, or completely lack desire, to move ahead. Those who have the desire and are in a position to move ahead should do so.

They'll be the ones to help bring us up out of the trenches.

To throw a twist into all of this is my disdain for those who purposefully and willingly come into EMS with no intention of staying. There's a difference between people who have been in EMS for a while and decide they want to build on their experience and go on to RT/RN/PA/NP/MD/DO and those who come into EMS saying they're only using the experience to help them get hired by a fire department because they want to be a FF. Although, that might be another discussion altogether.

You may want to consider than if you move onto something else e.g. Nursing, RT, PA, Medicine there is nothing stopping you from working part time or casually as a Paramedic on the side. There are a few casual Ambulance Officers here who work relief rosters at various stations.

Oh, and if you haz Degree maybe you can finally explain to me what in the bloody hell a proton is? Science and I do not get along :D

Kiwi, I went on the interwebs to try to find some overly technical definition of a proton to construct a humerously pedantic response. I instinctually clicked the wikipedia entry, and by the time I hit the "description" section my head was spinning...much like the 1/2 integer spin of fermions (hey my snarky joke has been found at last!)

but the thought of a simple idea becoming profoundly baffling reminded me of this documentary on time I one saw. It will totally scramble your brain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.