[JEMS NEWSFEED] Study Finds EMT Certification Easy to Obtain in Massachusetts

News

A joke certification? Should not be allowed near a emergency ambulance? Only good for IFT?

These are not objective comments and should be taken personaly. It is clear that their intent was to belittle and offend. Could EMT level certs be expanded? Of course they could except we would probably call it something else.

They are objective comments when one is able to separate the individual from the certification. Being an EMT is not the end all and be all of one's existence. There are many EMTs out there who have earned my respect as people. There are many EMTs here in this site that I respect. It just works out that I think their chosen level of training is substandard, inadequate and inappropriate for working on an ambulance.

Do you think medics don't get this same type of disparagement from people? They do. Frequently. Do I take it personally even when it comes from someone I respect? No. Why? Because it is not the whole of my existence. My identity is not wrapped up in being a medic. I can separate myself from EMS and look at things objectively.

That and I'm aware if the shortcomings of paramedicine to the point that if I want change I need to advance my education. I'm back in school now doing just that.

I would think I could venture to say that all of us EMT's respect the medics in this forum. It is sad that we would think so highly of people that obviously don't reciprocate. It is equally sad that you would agree with him.

Again, separate the person from the certification and I think you'll find that many people who fill the role of EMT are respected individuals. In many cases it's likely that respect stems from non-EMS activities and people are able to separate the individual from the job.

They are objective comments when one is able to separate the individual from the certification. Being an EMT is not the end all and be all of one's existence. There are many EMTs out there who have earned my respect as people. There are many EMTs here in this site that I respect. It just works out that I think their chosen level of training is substandard, inadequate and inappropriate for working on an ambulance.

Do you think medics don't get this same type of disparagement from people? They do. Frequently. Do I take it personally even when it comes from someone I respect? No. Why? Because it is not the whole of my existence. My identity is not wrapped up in being a medic. I can separate myself from EMS and look at things objectively.

That and I'm aware if the shortcomings of paramedicine to the point that if I want change I need to advance my education. I'm back in school now doing just that.

Again, separate the person from the certification and I think you'll find that many people who fill the role of EMT are respected individuals. In many cases it's likely that respect stems from non-EMS activities and people are able to separate the individual from the job.

No worries fellas, It was kinda late last night and it really is not that important to me. Anyone that really wants a career in EMS will be better served in continuing their education.

I do feel compelled to point out Kiwi's apparent glee regarding the shortcomings of a certification level as a little twisted and discombobulating when every person that holds that level of certification has achieved more in EMS than him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.