Move from Rural to Urban, volunteer to full time... NERVOUS!

I've been an EMT-IV for just over a year now, and I've been volunteering on my school's service in a rural area for most of that time. Now I've moved to Memphis and start my full time position on Monday! I'm really excited, but also super nervous!

Generally in my old town I got a lot of non emergency lift assist calls and TONS of vomiting drunk kid calls. Generally I could expect to run about 2-3 per 3 day shift. Now I'm in Memphis I'm expecting significantly more per shift as well as significantly more complicated calls and more trauma.

I'm hoping I'll be running with a paramedic who can act as a kind of captain, but I really don't know much of how the service is run. Lots of questions running through my mind like do they have GPS in the ambulances and will I be driving? ect. I hope I will quickly gain the confidence I need for the job, but right now my mind if racing with fear! I'm feeling inexperienced!

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for the Urban Rookie!

Smiles!

Many of the questions you have would have been *excellent* questions to ask during your interview process. You know how you were asked, "Do you have any questions"? Your answer should've been, "Why, yes. Yes, I do!".

As for advice, keep your head on a swivel. Keep your mouth on the closed (use common sense here) end and your mind on the wide open end. Ask questions. Learn as much as you can. I hate to say this but expect some hazing. If this is a professional service, with any luck, hazing will be limited. Keep detailed notes if you have to. Study hard. Learn as much as you can. Expect to feel wiped out after your shift. Expect to feel wiped out after your shift for several weeks to months. Keep a power/protein bar in your pocket in case you need food and call volume won't let you stop to eat.

You're in an interesting spot being the FNG. Do well and succeed.

Are you going to be working with the Memphis Fire Department or another service? We've been working with MFD lately (along with Wake County and Medstar) as we develope our FTO program, so I have a little bit of knowledge about them, and there might be someone here on the forums who've worked for your service who could answer some of your questions.

Also, yeah, things that would have been good to ask during the interview process.

I actually didn't have an interview! I basically was told as long as my background check and drug test came through, I was basically guaranteed a spot!

I'll be working with Pro-Med EMS.

And of course now I'm freaking myself out even more by watching EMS horror stories on youtube. Guess I'll just have to breathe and take things as they come!

stop watching that crap on you tube. it will cloud your vision when you start your shifts.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Good Luck in your new position, just keep in mind what paramedicmike said.

Take your time, get aclimated and keep an open eye/mind as to how things are done.

New job jitters are perfectly normal, and you will probably be wondering why lots of things are done the way they are!!

Each place has their own way of doing things.

I find it odd that they didn't interview you, to be honest. Especially since you don't know the specific people you'll be working with. I would maybe contact the supervisor and let them know you have questions about the work environment you'll be going into... an email would be great for this IMHO. It shows that you're proactive about wanting to do well.

Other than that, what paramedicmike and Captain said. Don't be watching YouTube. You'll encounter your OWN situations, and you want a clear head.

Wendy

CO RN-ADN Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.