EMT Interview questions for school project

EMTs only! This is for school. Please answer carefully. You may pick 3-4 questions.

What are the typical duties of an EMT?

What does take to become an EMT? What schooling is involved?

Have you ever been in a situation where your life along with the patient’s life was in danger?

What was the stress level involved in the situation and how did you handle it?

What kind of equipment is used regularly? Occasionally?

Why did you decide to become an EMT?

Thank you for your help!! :)

What does it take to become an EMT?

Depends on where you live, for instance in New York you are required to attend approximately 140 hours of training (divided between lecture and hands on). Lots of hands on!! You will be required to spend some time in a Hospital emergency room and/or ride an ambulance for a certain number of calls. I forgot how many.

What was the stress level and how did you handle it?

Depends on the situation. If it is an Alpha call (not exactly life threatening) the stress level can be low. If you work with the patient and respect their family, it will generally stay that way. The higher the threat to life= the higher the stress level. sometimes you have to step back and regroup and let your partner take over. Cardiac/Respiratory arrest, motor vehicle accident (mva) or any accident resulting in trauma will bring that level up.

When we get the call, we will sometimes discuss some very general ideas of what we will do, while enroute. Keep in mind, not all calls are life threatening

Kind of equipment?

Again this depends on your level "B" "A" "CC" "Paramedic" Generally we use B/P cuffs, stethescope, basic first aid supplies, different types of stretchers, spllnts (including traction), backboards, stairchairs, various drugs or medications. auxiliary airways for airway management, AEDs plus a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

Why?

There is nothing greater than taking what would have been a bad situation for someone (your patient) and turning it around for the better, including saving a life, delivering a baby, just to name a few.

You stated in your post that you were doing this for school. What kind of school? Are you contemplating becoming an EMT? IF so, I wish you nothing but the best in your studies.

Remember there are a lot of posters here that will add much more to what I said with a lot of different variations. There is no one way to do everything, so just learn as much as you can.

Just an opinion!!!!

• Like 1

EMTs only! This is for school. Please answer carefully. You may pick 3-4 questions.

Minimal schooling includes the obvious EMT-B, I, P... I would add to that a general degree in education or degree that incorperates A and P I/II, English comp I/II etc

Have you ever been in a situation where your life along with the patient’s life was in danger?

Yes, several psych calls in which patient was hostile but my crew allowed for police to properly secure scene prior to entry as is required by any if not all ems agencies. A good majority of calls will put you in "danger" as described by most lay people but hopefully you are trained to mitigate said dangers effectively while delivering patient care.

Stress is a personal issue and in no way similar in any two people or situations. Personally I am able to look at a given scenerio as being placed in a situation where I play very little role other than loosely following a set list of protocols which are open depending on education and experience. Long story short we play little role in an event if we are well educated and follow guidelines set by those with far greater knowledge of said event... i.e. we can only do what we can which is more than had we not been there.

This question is one better answered by your state regulations as they set what is the minimum requirement for equipment on an ambulance in your state. That said, buy your own Stethoscope. That doesn't mean you need the Cardiology stethoscope that costs 300 bucks (not exact) I purchased for my girl friend who is an ICU nurse but more often than not the 90 dollar scope will be more than sufficient for your needs and well beyond the abilities of the 5 dollar scope they provide.

I was 8 and my uncle had a massive MI... A paramedic spend what seemed like an eternity speaking to me like an adult and explaining exactly what had occurred as well as what was about to happen in an effort to help my uncle. He later died and the same medic again took the time to show me the equipment and techniques used in an attempt to help my uncle along with what was at the time a way over my head explanation of the events.

EDIT: apparently I can't spell

Edited by Iowa Medic
  • Like 1

What level of school are you in?

The duties of an EMT include but are limited to the Evaluation, stabilization and transport of patients. You will also check and report on the truck, equipment, exposure to infection, and patient interactions. You will wash the truck, take out the trash, get coffee for your medic and carry his/her bags.

The most important duty of an EMT in my opinion is to continue education.

There are different programs to become an EMT depending on where you live. To become an EMT you have to complete the school requirements and usually pass a National or State exam for certification and licensing.

Plenty of times. We limit these dangers by following procedures and protocols, even so, scene safety is a ever changing thing. A safe scene can become unsafe very quickly.

The stress level is pretty high in dangerous situations because I am caring for myself, the patient, my crew, and bystanders as well.

I don't think about the stress until the call is over. Knowledge and preparation leads to speed and correct decisions in stressful situations, I handle stress by puking, and good post operational debriefings.

Equipment is divided into sets according to their purpose. The ones we use the most are vital sign equipment, O2 administration equipment, bleeding control equipment and immobilization equipment. Occasionally we use extrication equipment and high angle rescue equipment.

I have always been interested in medical sciences and have an independent personality. Providing a medical service on a dark, rainy, remote highway is right up my alley.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.