S.A.L.T. Is it efficient in the field?

DFIB

This is a spin-off from another thread.

The previous discussion led us to talking about the S.A.L.T. ( Supraglottic Airway Laryngopharyngeal Tube).

In training the S.A.L.T. is wonderful. It has a low failure rate in intubation attempts as well as simplifies and speeds up the endotracheal intubation process.

How well does it work in the field on real patients as opposed to mannequins in the lab?

Do any of you guys have field experience with the S.A.L.T?

Are there any inherent drawbacks or difficulties in it’s field use that you have discovered through experience?

I have since they have introduced them here in 2011. Its fast and Easy, I use it instead of a bag valve mask. In 2 incidents we couldn't place it but had difficulties with e.t. as well (obese/noneck).

In the first year we replaced the LT just before transport, following the then accepted knowledge to not have a LT on a automatic ventilator. Now it depends, if it fits, we leave it in place.

Saves a lot of time, generally.

Heard of it, Seen the videos. Never seen it used. Would be interested in hearing more input.

Then again, we intubate here during CPR with a bougie and dont have a huge need to them We have Kings for our rescue airway.

I have since they have introduced them here in 2011.

Correction: we have and I use them since beginning of 2010. Just confused years. :)

Addition: I still use e.t. when LT is contraindicated, but that now has more or less been reduced to trauma with pharyngeal bleeding or instability or other concerns that a LT may be not fitting enough. Last week we had a burn victim (70-80% 3rd/4th degree) needing RSI, where due to confined space situation beside the railway track and within the bushes the e.t. effort wasn't successful but we were instantly able to sufficiently place an LT without hassle from the accessible side of the head.

I see the LT as a real useful additional (!) tool, working both as fast primary (if indicated) or as secondary/backup (if e.t. doesn't work) attempt for securing an airway. Don't want to miss them anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.