hiring process

Ok so I had an interview today with schafer. I was given a writen test then was sent off to get my physical and drug test. Does anyone know how far into the hiring process I am? Am I close or still in limbo land

Oh and in about two weeks I'm doing the stairs test :/ kinda nervious....I'm a female 130 5 foot 4

There is an expression in EMS: "Once you have seen oneEMS system.... You have seen ONE EMS system".

Put another way, every system,company, agency are all dramatically different in their approach to almost everything. This includes hiring. Your best answers come from current employees, or better yet the person in charge of hiring.

Thats said, I personally know many female medics (we are about 40% female at my service) including at least 3 who have been in this job for decades...yes decades... in realtively busy 911 systems....and weigh UNDER/about 100 pounds and barely push 5'2 in height. Of course they work out regularly, dont smoke, etc. And yes, they do their own lifting, etc.

If you pass or fail, it wont be about your sex or stature...but about your attitude, preperation, and planning. Just my thoughts...your milage may vary.

Edited by croaker260
  • Like 2

Fill out an application

Interview with Committee

Police Check (Criminal + DMV)

General Background Check w/references

Physical

Drug Testing

Initial Acceptance by Officers, then membership

Completion of Probationary period

(I am sure I missed something, this was two years ago for me)

Thank you all for replying back. I'm pretty confident they like me. My lift test is in a week exactly. I'm very nervous. The gentleman in charge was giving me the details ... 240 lb. Dummy on a 50 lb. Stryker stretcher. So well see. :)

I sort of have a problem with a "lift" test. I hope they don't expect you to single handedly lift the "patient" and get him on to a stretcher. Usually you will not be the only person there.

Am I missing something?

My experience with public service agencies is that they won't go through the expense of a physical unless they're pretty sure they want you. So, barring any unforseen items in physical, it's only a matter of time.

Congrats! Well done. Usually if you get sent for the pre-employment physical/lift test, you're in as long as you pass that and the drug test... for most companies that I've heard of...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.