What Is RIGHT With Your Organization or Company ?

Some more

Rapid sequence intubation - consistently for ten years now 96-99% success without (as of 2009) the need for cricothyrotomy

Replaced the BIG and Cooks screw in IO needle with the EZ IO

Combat application tourniquet

Introduction of size 1 and size 5 LMA's

Intranasal fentanyl

Ketamine - absolutely love, love, love, love teh kettymainz

Entonox

We're a provincial service, so resources are able to flow where they are needed without worrying about municipal boundaries, mutual aid agreements, or coordinating with multiple dispatch centres.

Also moving away from protocols in favour of guidelines.

• Use of FLIR for safety enhancements
  • Addition of tire pressure monitoring systems
  • IVDDs to detect increased Cardiac Trops
  • Upgraded audio systems to allow the crew to personalise their music choices.

Something tells me youre auctually serious ...

I am, this is what replaced our factory radios.

http://support.jvc.c...elId=MODL028308

The philosophy is thus. Improving the work environment for the paramedic improves attitude, this will improve safety and patient care. When the paramedic is happy he won't complain so much when he is required to wear a stab vest or participate public education seminars, or what ever other dirty job or condition you might not prefer to work with. When they're on an 8 hour transfer in the middle of no where, it makes the trip a bit more tolerable when they can listen to a satellite radio or connect an ipod to the stereo system.

Edit:

Additionally, there is an AM/FM radio, DVD player and integrated video game console in the back. Before I get blasted for all these "toys", just try to remember, our patients tend to be in the back of the ambulance for over 2 hours with nothing to distract them and most often they are stable. Pediatrics especially love being able to play some video games and watch a movie.

Besides, I'm at level 28 on my video game of choice. ;)

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

Shrug, my mother worked her entire 30+ year career never to sit behind the wheel. I can see no reason you couldn't either. I don't understand why you'd want to take such a step down though. ;)

What I love:

Storage - Everything is there..Always. The last two services I worked for where quite lazy when it came to storage-handling..So I often ended up with a "shit, only 4 infusions left and the new delivery will not come before monday"-Situation..Here...You want it - you get it...No matter if its a 20-cent Saline flush...Or a new ambulance.

Support - The "support" we give each other on the "frontline" is great...By far the best I saw so far. And even the company-support itself goes far beyond what most other services can offer.

Development - We are not the best service in the world...But currently probably the one which develops fastest. What has been introduced/changed within 2 years..Is enough for other services and 20 years.

The change is simply impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Things I like about the BC Ambulance Service:

1) A consistent effort to participate in studies that involve pre-hospital care.

2) A mandatory payed 6-12 month mentorship program for all newly graduated ALS providers.

3) A developed "in house" Critical Care Paramedic program that has actually bothered to seek accreditation with the Canadian Medical Association.

4) The development of a Treatment Guideline style of practice (currently lacking in pharmacotherapy options but a step in the right direction none the less).

5) Location, Location, Location. I love my home province and BCAS is the only option if I want to work in public EMS operations there.

6) Ambulance fees are heavily subsidized by the provincial health plan. Patient's never receive a bill greater than $100 whether they were airlifted by a Critical Care team or had a 5 min ride to the clinic with a BLS crew.

7) A Chief Operating Officer who is an experienced ALS paramedic and holds a relevant masters degree. Our last COO was an RN with zero understanding of EMS operations. She now holds a similair position in Alberta (sorry guys).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.