The evil vent strikes again! Only this time we found the problem. (See the internal oh sh*t button post prior to reading)

We took another vent patient to lubbock. (Not only am I a certified shit magnet I get to be in the back with the most fucked up of the vent patients too :wtf:) Picked him up at CCU. Medic 17 (the truck we used for the last vent that went horribly wrong) had just come back into service. Got him loaded up into the truck. (of course with a medic who I trusted and had the experience to take vent patients.) The moment we switched him to our main 02 the problem arose yet again. But this time. With a different vent. It said we had too low of a 02 pressure and it refused to function. So my partner tells me to grab the BVM with 02 resevoir while he diagnoses the problem. After about 25 minutes of tinkering we found out it was the regulator on our truck that had failed. Thus explaining why our vent didnt work with our last patient. We took the truck back to the shop. Switched it out and it was running like a champ.

You can appreciate the difference that an experienced partner can make.

However, may I suggest something? You often see people curse here and I am not one to make judgements based on foul language; however, prospective employers do pay attention to online activities and it's not particularly difficult to place a real name to an avatar. I admit I've probably let a few four letter words loose here, but I usually try to moderate myself and if I feel the need to make a point, I may intentionally misspell the word or use a less aggressive word.

Anyway, do not think I'm judging you or telling you what to do, I'm just throwing a few thoughts out there. There will likely be a day when you have potential words of wisdom for me. I'll listen.

I think CHBARE was also referencing your avatar which is pretty much illegible except for the very prominent "Dr. Kevorkian" across the middle of it.

Were you applying to my service with that avatar you would not be hired. Were you applying to any service with which I am familiar you would not be hired.

Using it is your choice. Like CHBARE, I'm not telling you to take it down. Consider it friendly advice.

No problem sir. Ill moderate myself a little bit better.

Again, I'm just throwing out considerations and I fully understand we come here to decompress. I just know you are in the process of getting a new job and I want you to have the best possible chance of doing so. Again, I have no doubt that you or somebody else will have words of wisdom for me.

I am glad you were able to have a different scenario occur with the ventilator.

After about 25 minutes of tinkering we found out it was the regulator on our truck that had failed. Thus explaining why our vent didnt work with our last patient.

No. That is not why you had problems the last time you used your ventilator. It allready was explained in the previous thread, but once again, the Autovent has an internal pressure relief valve (calling it anything more or different than that is giving it way to much credit) that is preset and can't be changed. When the pressure excedes that limit it sets off an alarm (the annoying squeal you heard) and turns the green piece red. And also stops delivering O2; hence why the previous patient didn't do so well; he wasn't getting the volume he required.

Couple steps to take to fix this problem as best you can: 1) take the autovent behind the medic unit and hit it with a sledgehammer. Repeat as needed. If/when it get's replaced with another Autovent of any kind do the same. Maybe at some point management will wise up. 2) If you are going to be using a piece of equipment as either a paramedic intern or an EMT who is expected to assist the paramedic, READ THE MANUAL AND KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR EQUIPMENT. Try this: http://www.progressi...00_operator.pdf No really...stop reading this and go read the manual. Now.

Seriously...you've brought up 2 situations in which you had a piece of equipment fail, both of which had a very clear cause if you knew how to use your equipment. You didn't. If you want advice, that is the first thing that should be said; it goes right along with knowing how to do your job. In fact, it is knowing how to do your job. You mention that you covered ventilators in class...great...then since you have some basic knowledge, why would you not learn about the ventilator that you actually carry and might use? You can come out and blame the paramedic (and ultimately it is their responsibility) but you also were on that unit. And as a student to boot, you ought to be learning everything you can right now, about both the equipment/meds you carry, and the ones that you might carry later on.

Boggles the mind...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.