Hello from Los Angeles

spiderChunks

Hi everyone!

I'm a brand new EMT and just finished my first week of training at my new job. Lots of bumps and crazy excitement (even if it's just IFT) and I can't wait to hop back in and learn more in the field.

After frequenting video game and movie forums all my life, I figured it's time to be plugged into the community that actually has to do with my career path. Here's to hoping that I can use this forum to my complete advantage, and I hope to learn a lot from other new hires and especially the experienced EMS personnel who frequent the board!

Welcome.

One point tho... it is never "just IFT". These are some of the most challenging patients you will encounter; multiple co-morbidities, acute medical, chronic illnesses, etc. etc. These people need compassionate and effective care. Use your time on IFT to learn.

Once again, welcome to the site.

Welcome to the city. I have to say- I LOVE the moniker- quite creative.

I'll echo what CM said about IFT's. This is exactly where everyone should start in this business. You learn about patient assessment, dealing with people- sometimes who cannot communicate effectively with you, you learn about medications, how to take vitals on patients who may be contracted or confused, how to deal with hospital and facility staff, how to properly operate and care for all your equipment, you learn about driving an emergency apparatus, about documentation- the list is endless. In essence, this is where you learn the job- no matter how many licenses or certifications in EMS you end up pursuing. It helps you get a firm grasp on the basics in a generally more sedate environment than the insanity of a 911 service.

More than anything, you also learn how to talk to people- both patients and family members. You learn that the little gestures and words you use are remembered and appreciated far more than your medical knowledge or skills, and that applies to folks in every aspect of EMS, and at every level.

I completely agree. There are no "just IFT's". They are going to a higher level of care or going home on hospice. Hospice transfers are the most difficult for me to handle. Mom passed of cervical/uterine cancer 6 yrs ago. The hardest part isnt usually the patient, they have come to terms with what is going on. It's the families of these patients that are having the most difficulty, as they are just starting to get a grip on the situation and have not yet accepted that the inevitable is coming. Kind and compassionate treatment of their loved one and a kind word to them goes so very far in helping them. Compassion and empathy are everything.

Unstable medical patients going to a higher level of care are the most challenging. Assessments and constant monitoring only help hone your skills.

There are a lot of people that can help you learn...if you listen, and there is LOTS of info on the site. Good luck and welcome to the city :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.