Nurses Eat Their Young How About Medics?

DFIB

I was reading an article about nurses and workplace bullying. I was astounded that up to 46% had either been the victim of bullying or admitted to being the aggressors and 65% of nurses surveyed had witnessed 1 or more episodes of lateral violence between coworkers.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/729474

Is this as common in the pre hospital environment?

Would bullying be different than “hazing the new guy”?

Does the pre hospital community show more civility and solidarity than hospital environments?

Why?

Need a link to the story- it wants you to sign in to read it. But answering your question- I think it depends on the service. In a FD setting, "hazing" or practical jokes were a tradition, but to some I guess it would qualify as bullying, although it's not nearly as much as it used to be thanks to the PC world we live in. When I started, the new guys would get screwed with just to see how a person responded to it. I was the victim of a few pranks- a couple pretty clever ones, and I basically said- OK, good one, you got me. An old timer said OK- that's all- we just wanted to see if you could take a joke- we're done with you now.

Just like a new guy here, it's not a place for someone with thin skin. I had someone tell me years ago that if someone is busting your balls or teasing you, be happy because that means they like you and you are accepted. If they ignore you, they do not trust you. To this day, jokes still go on. Someone fills clean bowls with water and puts them away, so when the person takes them down from the shelf, they get a bath. Someone decides to reverse the doors on the refrigerators to make them open in the opposite directions. Tying bungee cords to things in the freezer and the door, so when you open it, a container of ice cream falls on your foot. Some are more clever than others.

Nothing horrible, and certainly not what I call bullying. We have very strict rules about harassment, abuse, violence, and technically bullying is forbidden, but you generally know who you can tease and who you need to leave alone.

Need a link to the story- it wants you to sign in to read it.

Darn, I had to sign in to read a link that ERDoc posted as well. I guess I am still signed in.Only took a minute.

When I started, the new guys would get screwed with just to see how a person responded to it. I was the victim of a few pranks- a couple pretty clever ones, and I basically said- OK, good one, you got me. An old timer said OK- that's all- we just wanted to see if you could take a joke- we're done with you now.

I am glad the measure of a trustworthy professional is no longer wither or not he can take a joke. Some litmus they had.

Just like a new guy here, it's not a place for someone with thin skin. I had someone tell me years ago that if someone is busting your balls or teasing you, be happy because that means they like you and you are accepted.

Evolution baby! This scenario reminds me of the abusive husband. I only smack you around because I love you. What a bunch of hooey.

I agree that friendly kidding is normal and expected. Everything you described seemed OK.

By bullying I was thinking more along the lines of unprofessional jealousy and wither or not there is as much in EMS as in Nursing. The article seems to indicate nurses are pretty tough on each other.

Darn, I had to sign in to read a link that ERDoc posted as well. I guess I am still signed in.Only took a minute.

I am glad the measure of a trustworthy professional is no longer wither or not he can take a joke. Some litmus they had.

Well, the problem is right or wrong- there is a strong organizational culture in the fire service. Part of adapting to such a lifestyle/profession means being able to accept and trust your coworkers with your life, and vice versa. Hazing/teasing/practical jokes are merely part of that initiation and acceptance process. The same things that make such a group great, also make them highly resistant to change.

Evolution baby! This scenario reminds me of the abusive husband. I only smack you around because I love you. What a bunch of hooey.

I agree that friendly kidding is normal and expected. Everything you described seemed OK.

By bullying I was thinking more along the lines of unprofessional jealousy and wither or not there is as much in EMS as in Nursing. The article seems to indicate nurses are pretty tough on each other.

Well, I worked in an a busy urban Level 1 trauma center ER for 15 years and I never witnessed "bullying" or hazing. Teasing, practical jokes, sick humor- every single day. I do know things are far different on med/surg, OB, ortho,, ICU's, etc, so bullying may indeed be an issue in those places. Things like professional jealousy- sure- that happens in any workplace.

HERBIE1 -

Do you think that the difference in relationships between Hospitals and EMS is what you mentioned about FF?

At some point we have to depend on and trust our partner in some potentially dangerous situations. In hospitals it is every man for himself?

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.