New to the site

Hey gang! My name is Chris and I am currently in the last month of my EMT basic class. I love what I'm learning and am very excited to hopefully pass this class and go on to do the same with my boards. However, even though I am doing well in my exams and quizzes and currently have a solid 88% in the class, I am struggling with the hands on assesments. When I get called up in front of the class to do different scenarios I get that deer in the head lights look and all I know disappears from my brain. It makes me feel stupid and incompetent and has me worrying if I am indeed cut out for this line of work. I used to be an EMT and a good one at that, 15 years ago and then had a severe head injury from a fall off a 30 ft. roof that once I woke up from a coma in the ICU on a vent was told by the docs I may not get my memory back at all.

Luckily, I did in time get my memory back but in taking this class I have come to realize my memory and recall are definitely not where they used to be. Taking this class is like taking it for the first time. My self-confidence is in the toliet.

I don't want to give up. Infact, I'm willing to go to the station every weekday (when the kids are at school) and just run assessments and practice all my hands on skills until they become second nature to me.

My lead instructor called me a chicken in front of the class last week as well as pointed out a stupid question I missed on an exam to everyone. I wanted to shrink into a corner.

I've contacted my instructors in hopes to meet with them and get their feedback. But would love to hear any of yours as well.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Chris,

I don't know how hard your EMT class is but an 88 is a good solid score. Most the students I know never break the 80 plane.

It seems that you have recovered well from you injuries and I felicitate you for getting back in the saddle. I would wonder why your instructor would single you out when you have such good grades, Possibly he/she has self esteem problems of was just being a jerk. You shouldn't worry about that too much, your grades are just too good.

If you are having trouble with the practical aspect what I found to help me was to memorize the skill sheets. They are my map and guide through practical applications. Once I memorized them I got a partner to practice with. Eventually it all came together.

Hang in there. It sounds to me like you are an intelligent lady that has a lot to offer to patients.

Welcome to the City.

welcome to the City!

I give you credit for taking the EMT program again after having a head injury.

. In no way should you feel dumb when you forget things while doing a scenario in front of the class. I was in the boat not too long ago so I know how you feel. It is better to make mistakes in the class room rather than in the field!

Sounds like your instructor is not much help in the way of boosting your confidence. You come across in your post as someone who is going to do well in the EMS field so stay with it do not worry about what others think and keep your head up and don't think of yourself as being dumb just because you make the odd mistake in class.

Welcome again to the City!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.