new EMT student

Hey guys,

I`m going to be starting an EMT-B course this spring. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect as in:

The class in general

Supplies (shoes, scrubs?, anything else that might be helpful)

Advice for studying

Other classes that may be useful to take.

Any other advice for the class or the field in general would be very helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy any uniforms or shoes until the program tells you what they require.

I can't think of anything extremely helpful about the class itself, sorry.

Try to make a study group. It was helpful to me to be around people with similar interests who cloud answer questions I had.

I am currently taking Anatomy and Physiology and I highly recomend taking it before advancing in EMS. It is not required but allows you to understand some things much better.

Welcome to the City!

• Like 1

I have to agree with MG. Dont buy anything until you what is going to be required in the way of equipement and "uniform". I bought a cheap stethoscope because I have a phobia about using a "community" one. I did that once...in medic school and ended up with a raging inner ear infection. As for studying, it really depends on how you learn. Do you learn by reading? talking it out? writing it down? A study group is a great idea.

Good luck to you and welcome to the City :)

edited for spelling

Edited by Nypaemt39
  • Like 1

Hello,

Good choice in deciding to study EMS. It is a challenging and rewarding career.

Class dynamic should vary depending on your program but you should expect a combination of theory and practical training. Take the time to read ahead before your practical skills sessions so you are reinforcing knowledge instead of learning anew.

Uniforms. Each program will have their own uniform requirements so I wouldn’t purchase any clothes before you get your supply list. You can expect to eventually need a good pair of polishable non skid boots with ankle support. I like boots with a side zipper.

Studying. Be sure and read all your materials in advance (textbook, handouts, power-point presentations). Take notes. Review everything after class again. You can also come back to the forum if you have questions. If possible start a study group early on and try to meet once a week. The material stacks up quickly. It is very easy to get behind.

Medicgirl05 is right. A&P is a good course to take. It is not required but advisable.

I would also recommend getting in shape. The job requires it and you may be lifting some in class.

The only other thing I can think other than having a positive attitude of is keep your pee test clean. :)

Welcome to the city.

• Like 1

I'll echo what the others have said, and will only add this: By the time you get out of your EMT class, you WILL know all of your classmates more intimately than you know most of your friends, because you WILL be putting your hands on their bodies, and they in turn will be putting theirs on you.

This is NOT the time to be 'shy', and be sure you've got clean underwear on!

I'll echo what the others have said, and will only add this: By the time you get out of your EMT class, you WILL know all of your classmates more intimately than you know most of your friends, because you WILL be putting your hands on their bodies, and they in turn will be putting theirs on you.

I had to laugh. One of my first things in basic class was using the traction splint. It was so awkward in the beginning because everyone was afraid of touching another persons groin, but by the time that class was over we were all laughing so hard. It was one of the best classes I had in basic class because that was when we started to be friends.

Thanks guys, that actually helps a lot. I`m so excited for the class to start I think I was getting a little ahead of myself lol. But all of the information you guys gave was great. I also got a kick out of some of it, it sounds like a lot of fun but hard work. I like this lol

I know its something to take very seriously but its nice to know that it can be fun as well. Thanks again for all of the information it really did help. I really cannot wait for class to start.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.