medical assistant from tx

etbchik

I am a medical assistant originally from pa but living in north tx. I been in the medical field for 10 years went from being a cna to being a medical assistant but i ultimately want to be a paramedic. My dad was one years ago so i was always around it. Im not sure where or what to do to start. If anyone can give me a few hints on what i need to do to get into the field that would be awesome. Thanks so much and Im looking forward to meeting some great ppl here.

• Like 1

Hey Chik, welcome to the City!

The path to medic is pretty much the same as it was for CNA, and maybe medical assistant, though I have no idea what becoming one involves. College.

Where you go from here depends a little bit on where 'here' is. Do you have much college? I, and most here would recommend that if you want to be a serious medic that you find an AAS program. I'm thinking that TX has a few. It's possible that you already have many of the prerequ's if you had any biology, anatomy and physiology before.

Are you truly sure that you want to run backwards from nursing and go into paramedicine? I love being a medic, but I have to travel all over the friggin' world to make the money that a nurse makes. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But if I had it to do again I'd have gotten my RN, made the same money, and more likely, and be home with my family every night.

It's good to have you here! Stay and participate. Jump in, share the knowledge that you have and ask about that that interests you. I'm willing to bet that in your clinical career that you've seen a bunch of interesting things that we haven't....don't be stingy! Share!

I look forward to your thoughts....

Dwayne

• Like 1

@Dwayne I thought in order to complete a paramedic program you first have to have your state EMT card first?

@ chik That's awesome that you want to be a medic. I am also fairly new to the CITY! as of right now I don't have much to offer to the table because I am a new EMT. But I can tell you that member of the CITY are very quick in answering questions and giving you advice. I do too want to become a paramedic in the near future. It has always been a passion of mine but i guess I was scare to move onto another career!! But one foot at a time and now I'm a EMT. Fellow Paramedics that I know also told me to at least have some experience as an EMT first before you actually move onto paramedic.

But enough of my chit chatting and WELCOME TO THE CITY!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.