Texas EMS instructor certification question.

swn919

I am looking at becoming a Texas EMS Instructor. I am going to be unable to attend the EMS conference this year, and from what I can tell most people go there to obtain certification. I have see a few online places such as Techpro Services offer an EMS instructor course, and I know that the State will accept "Methods of Teaching" along with a written test at a regional field office. I am not opposed to taking this test. My question is for the current Texas EMS Instructors, and it is two fold. How did you meet the education requirements for EMS Instructor? Are there any "Methods of Teaching" course still approved by DSHS?

Thanks

swn919

I got my EMS Instructor certification by taking a TDSHS EMS Instructor course through TEEX. Granted that has been about 10 years ago but I know they still hold such courses and I recently saw Kyle FD advertising that they were teaching a Texas EMS Instructor course. I know that the course I took at TEEX would allow me to become grandfathered in as a Fire Instructor if I were a firefighter as well as a Police Instructor if I were a police officer.

Sarah

I saw that, the final project looks kind of rough. Was it in fact?

It wasn't easy, but it also helps prepare you to deal with the logistical challenges of finding a classroom, developing material, ect. The bonus is if you complete their curriculum, you don't have take the state exam.

Edited by usalsfyre

I took the online course through Percom as well. The final scared the crap out of me, but it's a necessary evil. And, as stated by usalsfyre, you no longer have to sit for the state exam if you successfully pass the course through Percom. Of course, that didn't occur until AFTER I got mine. UGH! :D

If you have more specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

**Disclaimer, I teach for Percom.

***edited for grammar. I need to go back to my nap. :P

Edited by tcripp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.