EMPACT CE Course

So I just finished taking the Emergency Medical Patients: Assessment, Care, and Transport (EMPACT) course and was curious if anyone else here has taken this? Wanted to get your thoughts on the class. It's a fairly new course and this was actually the first class offered here in California, but I know that it has been taught in other states. We had some EMS providers from Texas and Arizona in the class as well, and they brought amazing insight as to the difference in care of our patients and protocals across the country, as well as our education differences. Was pretty cool, but as a BLS provider, I found the class to be a bit advanced for me. The other 2 BLS providers in the class said the same thing, so I was just curious what others (BLS or ALS providers) who have taken this course thought about it? For those BLS providers, did you feel this class was a bit advanced for you? Do you think there was anything you could do to further your understanding of this course materials? ALS providers...any thoughts on the class as a whole? This school has not specified the course as good for BLS or ALS providers yet seeing as this was the very first class, so was just looking for some opinions from others who have taken it.

Thanks!

I might be considered a bit prejudiced since I am an author of the EMPACT book but I wanted to take a moment to respond to your post.

Some of the material is designed for ALS providers. I do believe there is a significant clinical benefit for EMTs to take the EMPACT class. I hope during the class that you learned about the importance of the history in the medical patient (a BLS skill) and the concept of differential diagnostic thinking (also can be performed by EMTs). Some of the pathophysiology may have helped you fill in some blanks in the hows and whys of things. The EMT-B course doesn't teach those things and I believe they are very valuable.

The history is so important in the medical patient. Most elements of the physical examination can also be performed by the EMT. Now I hope you understand that better. I believe that these elements are so much more challenging than the treatment. Most treatments are protocol driven. The real challenge is to make the right call on the patient's condition so you apply the correct protocol. This is what EMPACT is about.

I suspect that you will see the application of the course as you go on calls and can apply what you have learned. You should also find the book a good resource to brush up on medical complaints and emergencies now that you have finished the class. Please let me know if you see a difference in your practice after you have been out there a while post-course. Of course if you have any suggestions please send them our way.

Thanks.

Dan Limmer

Thanks for the response Dan! Was nice to hear about the class from someone who wrote the material and did a lot of the behind the scenes work. Definitely enjoyed the class and have recommended it to several people already!

There was definitely a significant clinical benefit for EMTs to take this course, don't get me wrong. I was not meaning to insinuate that this class should solely be for ALS providers. As a basic, I did learn a significant amount of information from this class and was very fortunate to have been able to participate in it. I loved the style of teaching...much different than other courses I have taken. It was nice to have so many medics in this class because it allowed those of us at the basic level to understand their train of thought when approaching a patient, which will definitely be useful on the job. To actually hear the thought process out loud and have someone facilitate that discussion rather than just having one person run the call was very helpful, especially when it comes to the history taking because what one person found significant in the history, others did not. I got to hear questions asked about a patient that I never would have thought about asking and also got the reason behind the question. Being able to hear the thought process start to finish was extremely helpful, especially from those that joined us from out of state. To hear how they would approach the given situation and treatment they would give differed greatly from state to state, so that also gave me a great insight to patient care and how it does differ, but still works for the patient. It was a great course and I really hope many people take advantage of it!

Unfortunately, the school did not have many copies of the book, so we were not able to purchase them. However, I did look at one of the copies the instructor had and it looked like it would be a great resource for any student, whatever their level of training would be. Can you tell me where I might be able to purchase one? I don't know when this school will have copies of the textbook in and would like to be able to read through it and link some of that information back to the course and apply that information to my own work out in the field and in school as I will be starting paramedic school in a few short months.

This is what makes EMT CIty great. The Author of the book is actually a member of the site.

One suggestion I would make Dan, would be to provide some links on how to purchase the book as well as where to find classes.

I think also that you continue to come here and provide us insight as to thinking outside the box. So many of us are protocol driven that thinking outside the box is a foreign concept to us. I for one try to show those I work with, work for and those who come to me for questions and also training/OJT training that thinking outside the box, thinking which protocol fits better in some particular patient scenario and why.

I for one would like to purchase your book. Do you offer autographed copies?