Hello from a New England

SansGroove

Hi all -- just doing an obligatory first post. I just registered and will be starting my EMT-B class next week. I have been in law enforcement in one form or another since 1993. At this point in my life my employer is starting to screw around with our retirement system, my wife and I hate the cold weather and we are getting ready to put our house on the market. We may stay here but it is possible we may opt to head to to somewhere in Arizona. Anyways if we do make a move I really want to have a marketable skill that would allow me to find some gainful employment in a job I would enjoy. It is also a bit of "unfinished business" as I never finished my degree and it is not something I want left undone.

I will know by the first week of June if I am accepted into the Associated Degree program in Advanced Emergency Care. It will take me through the Intermediate and Paramedic level with a host of other classes along the way if all goes well.

I have always been fascinated by EMS/Medic/FIre stuff. I was always the cop hanging out in the fire station asking the medics a million questions... they used to laugh at me and tell me I was on the wrong side of the fence. I just never had the time to do the training while working split shifts on the road and having 2 young ones at home. Now I have a position that is all days (unless I want to go out in the evenings) and I have the ability to go back to school and commit to the training and school.

I feel a bit behind the curve as I am 39 and I see the medics on my local FD look no more than 25. But ya know what they say about age and treachery...

rolleyes.gif

Anyways - nice to be here - I plan to keep my head low, ears wide open and mouth shut.

Welcome!

Where in New England? What school will you be attending?

ETA: If you're really looking for a marketable skill that will transfer to other places please consider something like nursing before you consider an EMS job. Reciprocity for nursing is far easier than EMS certs. The job market is much better for nurses. And with the right experience nursing will offer more opportunities with better pay than will a paramedic certification.

Yes. EMS can be cool, fun, exciting et cetera. But the industry is fragmented, overstaffed and rife with political wrangling between powers that want to control the purse strings. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to offer some additional insight.

Edited by paramedicmike

It's never too late to start another career. 39 isn't old. We all have to work until 67 (it will be 69 soon), so you'll have to work another 28 to 30 years. EMS (EMT-B/I/P) is a great Profession and the Degree route you're taking is a good route. Are you close to Bawston (Damn you Pats, Celtics, and Sox)? Correspond with Boston EMS; they can guide you to the direction to the Bachelor's in Paramedics/Emergency Management. Also, they have a very good EMS, if you wanted to work there or do ride-alongs. Plus, with your long Law Enforcement background; with the B.S. and the Paramedic, you can be a Director of a City OEM or one on the State and Federal Level. There is so many options. Of course the EMT-B is just the first step of the many floors of the Emergency Services Industry... Good Luck...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.