international paramedic jobs

hello,

I currently am a paramedic in California, USA. One of the reasons I decided to start this career was for an adventure. I have been very interested in moving to another country to practice para-medicine. I have been in orange county california my whole life.

Has anyone else traveled to work as a medic. I'm not too interested in iraq or the middle east. I have a wife and i'd like to bring her with me. I was thinking maybe Australia, but I can't seem to find much info on international jobs.

I was thinking there might be private hospitals out there in other countries where americans have moved to and want american medical care.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Matt

Unfortunately, the Middle East and the Philippines are the only places I have seen doing the kind of thing you are describing. And neither is a good place to take a family. Although, they're safer than Mexico these days.

Most overseas opportunities are for remote duty, hazardous duty, and industrial duty, not EMS as you know it. If you're interested in that kind of thing, let me know and I'll give you some direction.

It is certainly possible to find employment in third world countries like Australia, NZ, Canadia, South Africa, etc... But not without beginning your educational process all over again. All of those countries have educational standards light years ahead of anything found in California. They wouldn't even look at you without a couple years of local education.

It's a lot easier for nurses, who generally meet a higher standard than overseas counterparts instead of lower.

• Like 1

Dust is correct. If you're looking for international work being a paramedic is pretty much useless (unless you're looking at Iraq of Afghanistan). If international work is what you really want to do look at nursing or some other field of medicine that actually requires an education. You'll find much more opportunities available there than you will as a paramedic.

It is certainly possible to find employment in third world countries like Australia, NZ, Canadia, South Africa, etc...

Bhaawaa Ha Ha

Thanks for the info guys. My original goal was paramedic fireman. I can totally see how other countries would look more at an RN than a paramedic. However I find that unfortunate. I feel like many paramedics are much more skilled than many RN's when it comes to assessments, treatments, etc. At least a lot of the RN's that I run into in the ER. But there are many RN's that are extrememly dialed. I guess it really comes down to schooling.

I guess back to the paramedic fireman route and I can go travel to those international spots on my vacation time.

I would also think that scope of practice in US and california would be more advanced than other countries, i guess i'm wrong. I was only making that assumption based on Japan's scope which is pracctically nothing.

If anyone else has any advice i'd love to have it. and thanks again guys!

It isn't about scope of practice or skills, it is about education.

Would a bachelor's degree from a Cal State University here in the US, but in an unrelated field (i have a Bachelor's degree in Communications) work as education??

It isn't about scope of practice or skills, it is about education.

Yes and No ... a minor point of contention as working remote or offshore deployments the prime contractors are looking for all the bells and whistles, not just ACLS or Trauma Care and transport "buddy" to an Trauma Centre or an English speaking ER in under 30 minutes.

Primary care evaluations extremely important patient management and longer term care are the top of the hit parade, offshore, remote. Questions like: is this a surgical belly or just a stuck fart type "visit" and do you actually require helo ? From antibiotic therapy to suturing with eye evaluations a big one and all the way up to arranging a medivac as in international long distance with an intubated patient. Ones scope and skills are very marketable and this also boils down to topside medical direction because they may ask you to do things you have never touched on in "paramedic school"

Meddock, just how a bachelors in communications would improve your chances of obtaining employment in another country is a real stretch of the imagination other than a position that focuses on Public Relations and your fluent in a multitude of languages.

I feel like many paramedics are much more skilled than many RN's when it comes to assessments, treatments, etc. At least a lot of the RN's that I run into in the ER.

I feel your way off base, the vast majority of male RN's in North Sea are ex UK Royal Navy or South African Paramedics or ex USA Forces RNs, they are heads above the typical REMT-P in Cali. ... just saying. :blush:

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Tniuqs- thanks for more info. I never really thought about the skills needed for remote areas and how you pretty much become the physician at times. When I was looking for an international paramedic job I was hoping for something in a city, so still transporting to ER's for the time being.

And when I referred to many paramedics being more informed than RN's I was only speaking about the RN's around here in CA, that are getting patients that have already been assessed, getting a hand off, then asking the Dr. what they want to do. And again thats not all of them, some that I meet seem to be full and thirsty for knowledge. While others are putting bilateral 24's in critical traumas and placing them on 2 lpm O2 via nasal cannula. lol

Thanks for the insight. Makes me wanna learn more.

Tniuqs- thanks for more info. I never really thought about the skills needed for remote areas and how you pretty much become the physician at times. When I was looking for an international paramedic job I was hoping for something in a city, so still transporting to ER's for the time being.

And when I referred to many paramedics being more informed than RN's I was only speaking about the RN's around here in CA, that are getting patients that have already been assessed, getting a hand off, then asking the Dr. what they want to do. And again thats not all of them, some that I meet seem to be full and thirsty for knowledge. While others are putting bilateral 24's in critical traumas and placing them on 2 lpm O2 via nasal cannula. lol

Thanks for the insight. Makes me wanna learn more.

However, when considering international jobs in austere environments, you will be competing with nurses and other providers who my be echelons above the "standard" provider in terms of experience and critical thinking. Also, I am not sure what point you are trying to make with putting critical trauma patients on 2 LPM of supplemental oxygen. Do you have literature that suggests improved morbidity and mortality with different flows and or concentrations?

Good luck, I understand the international business has become fairly competitive.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.