Hiring Process Frustrations

Stitches

I know no one really cares and lots of folks are going through the same thing, but I kind of just need to vent.

I don't think it should be this hard to become a volunteer. I don't mean that the system is flawed, and I'm not talking about the effort, so much as the ratio of work to reward. I've applied for volunteer positions with most of the local fire departments, but I'm just not having any luck. I started aplying in 2009, before I had my EMT cert, then in 2010 I thought that being Nationally registered and getting my WFR might help, but so far, it hasn't.

So far, I've sunk atleast $1500 into training, and I admit that I'm glad I took the training even if I never get hired, but its still frustrating. All most all of my ride alongs in EMT class were a bust, and I'm sure it didn't help my case that I ended up needing shoulder surgery, and thus was unable to do much EMS related stuff for the past 6 months.

I know that its no big deal, I've only been at it for a couple years, and expecting to get hired on so soon in even a volunteer capacity is kind of unrealistic. I know theres probably thousands of other people in the same boat, but still, its a little frustrating, but I'm just getting a little tired of having the "why don't you just volunteer somewhere?" conversation with friends and family. Guess I just haven't finnished "paying my dues" yet.

Sorry, didn't really mean to ramble on like that. Really I shouldn't be bitching, afterall, I'm the one that chose this life. Well, thanks for listening.

Chris "Stiches" Johnson

You don't mention what part of the country you are in. Are the services in your area mostly paid or volunteer?

Most volunteer services are glad to have new members want to join , especially younger folks.

Some are a good ole boys club and it takes a little more than walking in the door to get membership.

Others have a waiting list as they are limited by rule or by-laws to the number of active members they can have on the roster.

Be persistent, but not annoying in your pursuit .

Island,

I live over in Western Washington, about 45 minutes away from Seattle.

The Fire Depts around here are mostly carreer guys, but they do have good volunteer programs. Due to funding, they can only accept X number of volunteers, and as I'm still going to (community) college, they have a tendency to not put me as high on the list as people with more life experiance. Also, I live in an area with a LOT of former military personel, who also get preferance over me when it comes to hiring. Not that theres anything wrong with that, I'd do it the same way.

I know I don't really have much to complain about, I've only been at it for a couple years, and it takes patience.

I am thinking you are near Bremerton or thereabouts.

If I were you, I would continue schooling to the medic level and then look to the job market.

You are still young and you have plenty of work years ahead of you so take this opp to get all the education you can. You will find it more difficult to do so when you have a wife, two kids, a mortgage to pay and a full time job to juggle.

There is no rush in getting into EMS as those jobs will always be there.

Take your time, learn things now and unless you ABSOLUTELY have to get a job now you have time. Why stress yourself.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Ruffems,

I'm very near Bremerton, and that sounded like some pretty good advice. I'm still going to a Junior College, and I am working on getting as much of an education as I can. I have a job (Actually started going back to work ths month for the first time since surgery - yay). I'll start looking at maybe getting my IV tech cert eventually, and just keep trying to get hired on somewhere.

If you choose to get a job at the us naval hospital in bremerton, if they hire civilians I can give you two names at the hospital [if they are still there] and we can see where those names take you. Look into whether they hire civilians in their ER and Ill give you the names.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Ruffems,

Thank you very much for the offer, and I do apreciate it. I checked, and Bremerton Naval Hospital does hire civilians, although my gut feeling is that they hire civilians for the administration side of things and let Corpsmen do the lower level medical stuff.

Last night, I figured out that the problem is I'm bombing the interviews. I've been trying so hard to prove that I can be professional, and am not just "some dumb kid," that when I'm answering the questions, I'm giving text-book answers, and not showing much emotion at all. Now that I realise that, I'm not surprised I haven't been hired on anywhere: Emotionless "ice-cube" types are probably very good at some lines of work, but I don't think EMS is one of them. I'm going to take some time and work at my interview skills before I apply for anything else.

I really apreciate the offer though.

THanks,

Chris "stitches" Johnson

Edited by Stitches

Sometimes volunteer departments can be ridiculous to get into, with how slow their application process is. Case and point, I applied to two volunteer EMS agencies (one ambulance corp, and one FD) and a month later when my cert. transferred to my new state I put in an application to two paid EMS agencies. I got offered a job at both paid agencies before I heard back from either volunteer opportunity...

• 3 months later...

I feel you. I haven't been on the trail as long, but I'm equally as frustrated. I got my EMT in August '10 and IV soon after. I was a little neive in thinking I'd be an EMT by January latest. I've had a total of two interviews and recieved only one e-mail stating I wasn't elagable.

One of my interviews was for Aramark. I work at a gift shop on top of Pikes Peak. The job is 97% retail clerk, 2% medical. And I drive 2 hours to get there... But it's a start. Problem is, its seasonal and its almost over. No other employment in sight.

To my dismay, I've seen plenty of my class mates have been employed in ED's and ambulance services.

Guess there isn't much to do but keep doing what we're doing. We'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to get a Volunteer gig, but it took forever for them to officially accept me. I applied the middle of April, and I was accepted the 2nd week in June. When I went in to get some paperwork, one of my classmates was there and geared up. Apparently he applied 2 weeks before getting hired on.. and due to my FTO being on vacation, I've been on ONE ride along.

Getting a paid gig is worse and is so frustrating I'm not going to bother until I get my EMT-P.

Anyway, I hear ya.... It's frustrating!

-MetalMedic