Physics and EMS

scubanurse

So the thread about safe vehicles got me thinking tonight. I know there is a tedious debate here over higher education and EMS. I'm not looking to get into that and degree vs non-degree programs.

What I am curious about is this, would physics be a good requirement for paramedic just like A&P is in most programs?

The thread goes into kinetic energy and it's impact on car crashes, which from my experience are a good chunk of what we run. Would a basic understanding of physics help EMS provide different (not saying better) care?

Just curious.

Yeah probably. It's not just about a better understanding in the field, though. We should study physics (among other things) to raise the intellectual and educational standard of our providers. I think that setting higher educational standards (like requiring college-level science) would have a profound, positive effect on our profession.

There are three areas of study that I think are absolutely fundamental to master if you want to develop any understanding of the physical world. They include; mathematics, physics and chemistry. All understanding of our physical world is derived from these three areas. You may remember my thread on chemistry requirements for EMS. I think a survey of physics is crucial for prospective paramedics. I was actually able to do an eight hour series of lectures on introductory physics for a paramedic program that employes me as an instructor. Understanding the basics of vectors, force, work and even understanding the difference between speed and velocity are helpful in so many ways and lay the foundation for understanding trauma and injury patterns, mechanism of injury, how fluids flow and how the circulatory, musculoskeletal and respiratory systems function among many other things.

I went a bit overboard and explained the basic concept of differentiation and derived F=ma from the conservation of momentum, but it's such a fundamental concept I really had no choice. We even did a basic lab on force and types of energy (primarily kinetic and potential in terms of classical physics). Demonstrating the concept of intertia was really fun and I always love looking at people respond to the old helium balloon in a car trick.

Take care,

chbare.

I would dare say you may be a minority. I didn't even take algebra in high school let alone chemistry or physics. However, once you begin to learn, your life is changed in ways that are more profound than I can even explain. I remember studying a bit of electricity and magnetism and a brilliant flash of intuition occurred during some thoughts on Coulomb's law. It dawned on me that the force laws of gravity were nearly identical in form to the laws of electrical attraction and repulsion. Both are inverse square laws! The absolute beauty and stunning realisation that two seemingly unrelated aspects of nature share a common symmetry was incredible. Making these profound connections not only allows us to understand our jobs and the physical world better, but I think also allows us to develop tools for everyday problem solving because we are able to understand said concepts and critically think through unique problems and ultimately connect seemingly unrelated concepts.

Take care,

chbare.

I have a very limited understanding of what your educational requirements are in the US but wouldn’t fundamental physics and chemistry be apart of your paramedic and nursing degrees?

I have a very limited understanding of what your educational requirements are in the US but wouldn’t fundamental physics and chemistry be apart of your paramedic and nursing degrees?

Currently enrolled in a nursing program.... nope... no physics required... just biology, chemistry, A&P....along with other core classes

No. Many nursing programmes have a chemistry requirement, but it's still a mixed bag. Some of the allied health programmes such as respiratory therapy may have physics requirements.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.