Hi all

Kyle2011

Hey my name is Kyle I am 18 and live in Warren MI, right now I am taking a class at my high school to become a EMT. We are now starting our clinicals, so far i have been on one 12 hour shift with Med-Star. I was wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on being in a EMT course. Also what have you all experienced during your training both in the class and out on the trucks.

Hey Kyle!

First of all, welcome to the City! You will find some great information here.

As for any advice on your EMT course...the biggest thing I can say is just don't get behind in your reading or on your skills practice! I found that catching up once you got behind is extremely difficult and that you don't learn the information as well when you are trying to cram at the last minute for an exam! And just practice your skills whenever you get the chance! That part of the exams was always more difficult than the written exams (at least for me).

As for your ride outs, get involved! Your school would not send you out on clinicals if they did not think you would be ready. The only way you are going to learn is to be hands-on with the patients. Ask the medics you are with lots of questions. They will be your best source of information. And when you have a patient, ask if you can take the vitals and whatever else you feel comfortable doing. When I did my ride outs, I had one crew that would not let me do anything unless I asked, and then I had another that made me do everything from the initial assessment on scene to loading the patient into the rig and doing the complete detailed assessment on them and turning them over to the ED. So definitely just get involved in your ride outs. You will be surprised at how much that will help you with your exams and really learning the procedures, instead of just being able to regurgitate them for an exam.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information Iv had 2 clinicals so far and i had a lot of fun, so far iv seen 2 stroke patients and 2 heart attack patients, the other calls i went on where just transpires. I want to see a trauma call. I thought I would see a car crash being that one its winter and 2 I live in Michigan

Kyle -

Have fun and take it as it comes. Control the nerves, and let the shift unfold. "Watching and waiting" for that trauma has your mind at the yellow to red all the time and you want to stay in the green to yellow until the call comes in...Its great that at your age your already are making positive goals and productive steps into a great career field or adjunct.

Be safe!

inteldawg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information Iv had 2 clinicals so far and i had a lot of fun, so far iv seen 2 stroke patients and 2 heart attack patients, the other calls i went on where just transpires. I want to see a trauma call. I thought I would see a car crash being that one its winter and 2 I live in Michigan

Kyle reread that and ask yourself if that is truly how you want the EMT City world to view you and your level of intelligence.

Inteldawg brought up a good point that I haven't thought about in a long time. Adrenaline is not your friend when resting. It also makes it really hard to think clearly. Relax brother, if you've seen two strokes and two MIs then you're way ahead of the game when compared to many in their clinicals.

Have a great day, and really consider your presentation here. It will make a world of difference to your experience both here and in EMS.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.