Basic Questions before applying to program HELP

I'm hoping someone will respond as I keep hitting brick walls when trying to get some answers.

I think I would like to be a paramedic.... I say "think" because there are some things I need to know before I decide.

What I REALLY want to know is how can you tell if you can handle it.... all the things you see that is....

I am scared I won't be able to handle some of the gross factor... but these might just be normal jitters everyone is faced with. I can watch gross stuff on t.v. and find it fascinating (surgeries etc) however it is so different t.v. v.s. real life...

Is there any general rule of thumb or test to determine if this is something you can do.

I assume with exposure, practice and education I will become comfortable with all types of sights and situations but before I commit to schooling I would love to know if I am being realistic.

The other question I have is with regards to amount of time spent on your feet. I started running to get in shape to be accepted to the paramed program and in the process injured my foot very badly ... I have been trying to heal it over a year to no avail and I wonder how much time is spend continuously on your feet ? I know something like nursing would be out of the question for me but I wonder what thoughts were on it from a paramed point of view.

Any advice would be so appreciated..... THANKS

I'm hoping someone will respond as I keep hitting brick walls when trying to get some answers.

I think I would like to be a paramedic.... I say "think" because there are some things I need to know before I decide.

What I REALLY want to know is how can you tell if you can handle it.... all the things you see that is....

I am scared I won't be able to handle some of the gross factor... but these might just be normal jitters everyone is faced with. I can watch gross stuff on t.v. and find it fascinating (surgeries etc) however it is so different t.v. v.s. real life...

Is there any general rule of thumb or test to determine if this is something you can do.

I assume with exposure, practice and education I will become comfortable with all types of sights and situations but before I commit to schooling I would love to know if I am being realistic.

The other question I have is with regards to amount of time spent on your feet. I started running to get in shape to be accepted to the paramed program and in the process injured my foot very badly ... I have been trying to heal it over a year to no avail and I wonder how much time is spend continuously on your feet ? I know something like nursing would be out of the question for me but I wonder what thoughts were on it from a paramed point of view.

Any advice would be so appreciated..... THANKS

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's great that you're not only interested in paramedicine, but also that you're cautious about it as well. Becoming a paramedic takes a lot of time, patience, money and endurance and you obviously recognize that and want to make sure it's the right thing for you before you jump in both feet first. The first step to becoming a paramedic is to become an EMT-Basic first. This requires a one semester class that is probably offered at one of the local community colleges or universities in your area at the completion of which you'll have to take your state and national board examinations to get certified

Probably the best way for you to figure out if you can handle the job and whether or not you'll enjoy it is to be exposed to it. I would suggest calling up your local EMS service and asking if you could do a ride along to see what the job is like. Don't know if you'll be able to, but if you can you should go for it and if you can't then I would suggest taking an EMT-Basic class because you'll have to do ride alongs as part of the program where you'll work several shifts on an ambulance as a third person.

I'm afraid that I don't know of any quick and easy tests to tell if you can handle the job, but I will say that the human mind is remarkably capable of adapting and overcoming. You would be amazed at how much you can handle given enough exposure to something but only you can decide if the job is for you. The majority of our day to day calls are not gruesome scenes from a horror movie but every now and then you will definitely see some gruesome things. I will say that at least in my meager and humble experience even the worst injuries I've seen are never quite as bloody and over the top as they present in horror movies like Saw.

As far as your foot injury is concerned, the amount of time on your feet depends on how busy your service is. I will say that I work for a busy service and even on a busy day my feet don't ever get near as sore as they were when I was in clinicals working in the hospital and on them all day like the nurses are, HOWEVER my back was never as sore at the end of the day during clinicals as it is after a day of working EMS. In some services you're running calls all day and in some you're lucky to get a call once a day, so it all depends. How bad is your foot injury? What's your level of mobility right now? Most services require you to be able to get from point A to point B without difficulty and also require you to be able to lift somewhere in the area of 150 pounds unaided and to carry all of your equipment to the scene and back, which can easily be up to 60 pounds or more, but you should always have a partner to help you and shouldn't ever lift more than you're capable of lifting.

Good luck in making your decision.

Thanks so much. Good advice. I feel better now... I am fit, and my back is very strong. Mobility is ok. I still work and walk my dog etc. but if I stand for 4 straight hours which my job requires my feet are very sore afterwards. I actually live in Ontario, Canada. I am applying to Niagara College and as far as I know they offer it as a whole 2 year program. Seems like a lot of money to invest if I quite after the first term (if I can't handle i) that's why I am trying to sort things out now...

How are job prospects in other areas ? I am not opposed to moving. there never seems to be any postings around here. Are they posted somewhere the average person like me wouldn't see them ?

What is the pay scale ?

Did you have to do a fitness test to be accepted to your current job ? If so did it involve long periods of running etc ?

I have been searching the web and sending inquiries to anyone in my area from many groups and organizations and I am disappointed to say not ONE has responded in any capacity..... I have tried to book meetings, ride a longs and even ask some simple questions over the phone but no one will respond...

Sorry, I can't help. You probably shouldn't worry about jobs until you're finish. The Paramedic; I guess depending on the Level in Canada; will have hundreds of hours in rotation from Ambulance to ER to ICU. The Morgue Rotation will test your stomach. Its a great clinical rotation experience. Good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.