Paramedics Records Keeping

Arun

There would likely be a police report regarding the incident as well. Where I work, if we stumble upon something like this we would get the police, and possibly the fire department involved also. Usually in crashes like this, the car needs to be taken care of and a report made (Police), and fluids/debris on the road need to be cleaned up (Fire). So, there are two more written reports that would be generated from the incident in addition to the EMS paperwork.

I'm sure there are plenty of reports generated, but not every joe schmo can get access to them. You either need to be a lawyer, part of a regulatory body, or directly involved in the case. The run report and hospital medical records are HIPAA protected medical/legal documents, as is the police report. The ambulance service may have a copy of the run report, but again, not just anyone can walk in and request to see it.

If this is a car accident and if the persons involved file an insurance claim, then they would also have a record of the incident, but I'm quite sure they would restrict access to their records as well.

Hi:

If paramedics find a crashed car on the road and the driver unconscious and took him/her to the hospital to save his/her life without calling 911 or cops. Would they keep any record of where/when they found the patient or anything at all? Any record at the hospital? anything regarding this particular kind of case.

Thanks,

Arun

While all services have different protocol, it seems that it's pretty consistent among the services that I've dealt with or talked to providers on. Most must contact their own dispatch and the dispatch sets up a number for the call and location in the computer. Dispatch also contacts the area law enforcement. Depending on the severity of the accident, fire and tow truck(s) will be dispatched too.

I don't know why you're asking. If you're new to EMS, check with your EMS director or supervisor. If you're asking due to being involved in or having a family member involved in an accident, you'll need to follow proper channels to gain access to any and all information. If you're asking for some other reason, let us know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.