Tips for First Time Applications?

jmdjax

Hello,

I have applied to a few hospitals locally and sent e-mail to a couple of IFT companies here in Jacksonville, however I have no received a response back from anyone yet. Most of these sites lack personnel contacts or any way to contact human resources, so I was going to swing by a local IFT company after work since they are right down the street.

This company did not have access to an online application, so I sent an e-mail to HR via a link under the employment section.

I understand hospitals, too, are exceptionally busy most times. Is it acceptable to stop by and search for the human resources department to speak with them in person?

Ten applications and/or e-mails later over the course of the last three weeks and I am geting ancy!

The jobs are available, and posted, but like most detached, internet based application systems that lack human interaction, it's hard to get a response back..

Thanks in advance!

Joe

There is nothing wrong with stopping by.

You can even stop by St Vincents or St lukes or even Baptist hospital and talk to their human resources person.

Let me relate a experience I had the other day.

I am working in a small IT department for a HUGE hospital in central Florida.

The department I'm in has undergone some significant flux and just named a new IS manager of our department.

He said that there were 30 applications that had been filed for the open positions but without someone in charge of our department over the past 7 months, the applications sat in limbo for lack of a better word.

He now has 20 interviews set up and has hired at least one person.

This might be part of the problem depending upon the department you applied to.

I would fill your tank with Gas, go to St Vincents first, then Baptist, Then St. Lukes and finally Mayo and talk to all the human resources people.

Who knows, maybe they need to have a fire lit under their rear ends.

Hello,

I have applied to a few hospitals locally and sent e-mail to a couple of IFT companies here in Jacksonville, however I have no (not) received a response back from anyone yet. Most of these sites lack personnel (personal) contacts or any way to contact human resources, so I was going to swing by a local IFT company after work since they are right down the street.

This company did not have access to an online application, so I sent an e-mail to HR via a link under the employment section.

I understand hospitals, too, are exceptionally busy most times. Is it acceptable to stop by and search for the human resources department to speak with them in person?

Ten applications and/or e-mails later over the course of the last three weeks and I am geting (getting) ancy! (antsy)

The jobs are available, and posted, but like most detached, internet based application systems that lack human interaction, it's hard to get a response back..

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Joe, first things first. Go back and proof your applications/resumes for grammatical and spelling errors. In this note, I see three or four at first glance. If an agency/facility is receiving several apps for the same job, their first cut may be the simple "attention to detail" eliminator. It is never a bad idea to have others review your work before sending it in.

To answer your question about making a personal appearance, yes it is okay to go the HR office. However, I would not go after work in another services uniform. Be sure that you are clean and dressed as if you are going to an interview.

Toni

I Echo TCRIPP's response on the attire.

NEVER Go to another service or company's HR department with another companies logo or uniform. BAD BAD FORM

As for visiting the HR department.

dress in business attire as you may get an interview on the spot if they have your resume and application on file.

I got a job just this way. I went to the HR departments of several companies and one of them offered a sit down interview at that time and I got the job.

They said they liked the initiative. No matter that the job SUCKED DONKEY BALLS but I did get the job.

I'd highly recommend you take a new cover letter and resume with you when you go in. That way they don't have to "search" for it while you are there.

As Ruffems said, you never know when they'll do an interview on the spot.

Thanks guys.

tcripp, Thanks for pointing that out! I was rushed typing my post. I usually have excellent grammar and spelling.

I do not, nor have I ever worked in EMS. I just passed my NREMT last month. I currently work in an office and I am dressed as such (right down the street from Century).

Ruff,

In Jacksonville that will take two tanks of gas in my old beast :rolleyes:

I noticed you did not mention Shands in your list. Is there a reason? I did apply for a Patient Care Tech position with them as I noticed they hire EMTs for the job as well.

By the way, do you have any preference given the choice of IFT or PCT? If so, why? What will give me the greatest experience and opportunity to learn and develop useful skills?

I do not, nor have I ever worked in EMS. I just passed my NREMT last month. I currently work in an office and I am dressed as such (right down the street from Century).

The hardest part will be overcoming the lack of experience. Be sure to draw on characteristics required for the job that you obtained elsewhere and then you can use your clinicals for the patient contact.

In addition, if your area has opportunities for volunteer, take full advantage. That, too, will help build up your resume.

Good luck to you!

Yep Add shands to that mix. I totally forgot about them. And yes, with driving all that time, you will need to have enough cash to buy lunch and a 2nd tank.

Good Luck.

Excellent advice listed so far. I will second the need for professional attire, updated resumé and a smile when you go in. Cover letters, however, can be tricky. Generally, a cover letter should be specific for the job to which you're applying. If you have a specific job in mind at the hospital, for example, then take in a cover letter specific to that job. Having a generalized cover letter isn't necessarily bad. But it doesn't really let the HR people know what, specifically, you're applying for (unless you fill out an application... see below).

Going in to the hospital and finding the HR department is a good idea. Every hospital with which I've been affiliated or into which I've taken patients has had job postings outside HR and the ability to fill out an application on site. Be ready to fill out an application in addition to leaving a resumé (and cover letter if you're prepared in this manner). This means you'll probably have to have people you can list as a reference. So make sure you talk to people ahead of time and make sure they'll agree to be a reference for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions about how the process works. But don't pester them, either. They have your application in hand and if you treat them poorly the recycle bin is always close by.

Along that line, get the names of everyone you talk to. If you can grab their business card you'll get their name and business mailing address. Send them a thank you note. It doesn't have to be elaborate. But it goes a long way to helping you stick out in the mind of the people who review applications/resumés and make hiring decisions.

Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.